Small Club Tournament Question

Fished a small little Sunday tournament on a smaller lake around home. Just a few boats maybe 8 and could care less about the money involved in it. But when me and my buddy weighed in our fish that was last to weigh in they zeroed the scales for just us and we lost by 3 ounces. The guy who runs said the battery goes out and zeroed with tub but never did it before. I don't fish with those guys much and thought it was odd it happened. He had the winning bag and weighed in first. Plus he did it after he seen the fish we had. Anyone had somebody zero it for just one bag before?

Should be zero'd after every weigh.

3. Member
    I shouldn't have put Club Tournament it's just a small open tournament on horse power limit lake.

4. Member
    Well it was just for us. Kind of felt like it was odd that it was done like that. It only payed one place so it was you have them or you don't type deal.

If he weighed in first it wouldn't have mattered. Isn't the question about water getting in the bag and adding to the weight after it had already been zeroed? If he went first when it was dry and then it was tared for you at the end, it should be fair. Granted, it should be tared every time but if it only payed one spot and the other guys clearly didn't have enough weight it wouldn't have mattered so that was probably why he didn't tare it for any of the other guys.
    2016 Tuffy X-190
    Yamaha F175, Mercury 9.9
    Motorguide 80 lb Xi5
    Garmim/Humminbird graphs and Talon

That does happen. It has happened to me before multiple times. I always feel bad about doing it however, some scales have a time out period. I wouldn't take it personal. Stinks you lost by 3 oz though.

7. Member
    I know the feeling. Fished an open that paid 2 spots. First had 9.5 second 9.4 and I had 9.3. Literally the difference was how much water was dumped from the bags. I noticed the guy weighing who also won didn't center my bag on the scale and poured every drop of water he could. I didn't want to raise a stink so I let it slide. That was my fourth tournament with this group and I had won 2 times by a wide margin. The payouts were good because they only paid 2 spots and lunker.

A bunch of years later the weigh masters partner and I fished together. I talked to him about the weigh in and he said other guys were suspicious also about some things the guy was doing.
    Last edited by mattmann7; 10-22-2018 at 11:44 AM.

8. TJNYSNP
    Our club takes the stuff that goes onto the scale and ensures that they wet the weigh-in bag really good too ... even though no fish in it...... because it is weight that adds... and then they zero the scale. Zero'ing it out with the weight on it of the wet bag, crate, crate cover.

The objective is to not have the scale zero'd out again. My view is that its better to weigh in later than sooner because slime and particles in the bag that they use to weigh with imo can form and add an ounce and the bag is a lot wetter and dense with water at end of tournament than 1st person weighing in.

A scale shutting down and needing to be rezero'd out would indicate a long time of no one weighin in i guess.... doesn't make sense that a scale would should down if there were weighins going on.

9. Member
    I frequently do weigh in for a couple of clubs. I bought a No Keepers mesh bag out of my own pocket, and I put it in the livewell before I start to get it completely wet. I also bought a postal scale which is accurate and fast to replace one clubs scales which were getting inaccurate and lacked repeatability.
    I take pride in being quick, honest and accurate. If the club scales need re-tareing after some weighs they should be zeroed before everybody's weighs, and either replaced or repaired. When a person puts in 8 hours effort he deserves fairness and accuracy.
    I would get with the weigh in guy and find out what he needs, and if it doesn't get fixed either bring your own scales or don't fish there.

I'm checking to be sure we're zeroed before every bag. A lot of water accumulates as the weigh-in moves along. I'm very aware of the weight of my basket, bag and accumulated water.
    He did right to zero when he saw fit. If you don't like it, become a tournament director and do all the work.

11. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wvufan10147 View Post
    Just a few boats maybe 8 and could care less about the money involved in it.
    Why worry then..keep it fun and move on to the next get together.( I do agree with Mark though,,zero after every weigh)

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Should be zero'd after every weigh.
    +1. Always! We also tested with a certified 5lb weight for each weigh in to ensure it was weighing properly.
    Boatless Bank Trash for now

13. Member
    You should have caught bigger fish! Theres no crying in tournament fishing!
    Pool 10

Knowing that the Earth’s gravitational pull can fluctuate by as much as 2% every few minutes, there’s really no way to know who won that tournament.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mc Gregor View Post
    You should have caught bigger fish! Theres no crying in tournament fishing!
    Agreed 100 percent. Had one we needed to call and didn't. Could care less about winning it. I usually fish with my three old and we have came close a couple times but have missed winning by less then a pound. I know going in fishing against two man teams with just me and my little man that the odds are slim to win but watching him weigh in those fish are worth every dime we loose at it.

16. Banned
    Used to run tournaments. Our process was start with a wet bag in the basket and zero the scale. I always zeroed after each competitor. That way there was no question.

17. Member
    I fish with some guys that don't use a bag. They just go into a laundry basket with a plexiglass cover to hold the fish from flopping. Zero out the scale after each person.
    GETFISHED !!!

18. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    My two clubs zero the scale for every individual. This keeps everyone on the same playing field.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain,CT.
    2000 R-81 Ranger, 2015 175 Pro-XS
    Disabled American Veterans, Life Member
    Vietnam Veterans of America, Life Member
    An Khe Vietnam, 66-67