Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone killing birds.....

So I need to live vicariously through others this fall. Had rotator cuff reconstruction and though my shoulder feels good I am not going to chance it this year. It is getting cold around these parts and birds are starting to move. Saw snowflakes for the first time today. I need to see some dead waterfowl.......please help a brother out.....

Heading to North Dakota next week. Will post pics of the trip

3. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Early teal season wasn't much to speak of, around here (was still 90 degrees plus and the mosquitoes were brutal).

I heard the first flock of specks (was foggy, so couldn't see them) of 2018 on Saturday.

Saw first snow geese yesterday, while fishing.

Bit late (usually ~1st week of October) for both, this year.
    Who controls John Gill?

4. Member
    Our opener was Saturday. 14 drakesfor you 20181021_182947.jpg
    Just got back from Saskatchuen 2weeks ago but still had the itch!IRS20181022_130740.jpg

5. Member
    Now that is what I'm talking about.... I am going back to Saskatchewan next year even if I need to thumb my way there.... Congrats on the mallards.

6. Member
    Our season doesn’t start till 2nd weekend in November and even then the good hunting isn’t until late December

7. Member
    I was supposed to be in Saskatchewan this week, but my hunting partner backed out 2 weeks ago and I couldn’t find a replacement. Before this year, I had been fortunate enough to go 19 straight years. Many of those years I stayed for two weeks. Hopefully, we will have a decent season. Opening day is Thanksgiving in Kentucky.

8. T Dub
    Quote Originally Posted by Ky-triton View Post
    I was supposed to be in Saskatchewan this week, but my hunting partner backed out 2 weeks ago and I couldn’t find a replacement. Before this year, I had been fortunate enough to go 19 straight years. Many of those years I stayed for two weeks. Hopefully, we will have a decent season. Opening day is Thanksgiving in Kentucky.
    Man that hurts! Sorry to hear that. Hoping for a good season here in East TN too.

I’m getting things ready for our trip to Devils Lake North Dakota this weekend. We are hunting next week. Can’t wait and will post pictures and reports.

10. Member
    The first half of the season here in MN has been stellar! The abundant water from a wet summer/early fall has made it almost too easy. Averaging about 45 minutes of hunting a day.

Sorry...no pics.

11. T Dub
    Quote Originally Posted by RFeyoMN View Post
    The first half of the season here in MN has been stellar! The abundant water from a wet summer/early fall has made it almost too easy. Averaging about 45 minutes of hunting a day.

Sorry...no pics.
    I've killed several thousand already. But no pics........

12. Member
    I'm long past taking pictures of dead birds. It's no special accomplishment.

13. T Dub
    Quote Originally Posted by RFeyoMN View Post
    I'm long past taking pictures of dead birds. It's no special accomplishment.
    Me too. I hate duck hunting

14. Member
    Opener here last weekend. 2 woodies on Sat, a mallard and 2 more woodies on Sun. Little sparse so far.
    1995 Stratos 275 Pro XL
    1995 150 Fastrike
    MG Xi5

15. Member
    Never duck/goose hunted but wouldn't mind giving it a try. Always quail and pheasant for me.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ky-triton View Post
    That is my biggest fear about going with friends on a trip like that. I did it a few years ago but now most of my friends have kids. May just fly solo next year....

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Hale View Post
    Heading to North Dakota next week. Will post pics of the trip
    Was quite disappointed when we took a trip there a few years ago. We hunt public lands here in Washington and it can be tough at times but leased lands or 'hunt clubs' and private lands are generally more productive if you know someone, pay, or get permission to hunt. Figured the reports I heard from there we thought it would be different. Not so much. We did a lot of driving and walking/hunting on public lands and did not find any more birds than we would have here.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by A Wood View Post
    That is my biggest fear about going with friends on a trip like that. I did it a few years ago but now most of my friends have kids. May just fly solo next year....
    I have always just freelanced up there. Still have friends that go up there, but they were actually on the way back to Kentucky when I got the cancellation call. Had several friends want to go, but they either didn't have a passport or had let their passports expire or couldn't take off work on such short notice. I considered flying up solo and hunting by myself. I have done that a time or 2 up there when others had to leave before I flew back. It can get a little lonely.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrackerPro16 View Post
    Was quite disappointed when we took a trip there a few years ago. We hunt public lands here in Washington and it can be tough at times but leased lands or 'hunt clubs' and private lands are generally more productive if you know someone, pay, or get permission to hunt. Figured the reports I heard from there we thought it would be different. Not so much. We did a lot of driving and walking/hunting on public lands and did not find any more birds than we would have here.
    Yep...don't believe the hype! In my opinion, which
    really doesn't matter...if you're driving over 200 miles to get to ND, you'd be foolish not to just go to Manitoba or Sakatchewan.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by T Dub View Post
    Me too. I hate duck hunting
    I don't hate duck hunting, in fact there's nothing i'd rather do. But killing 6 ducks is no big deal...for some people.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast