1996 Evinrude Intruder 175 Acceleration Issue - Control Box, Cable or Motor?

Hi All. I bought a new to me 1996 Evinrude Intruder 175 (E175GLEDB) this summer that has BRP Johnson Evinrude Outboard Side Mount Remote Control (blue controls) and it seems to be working well with the exception of one thing and I am wondering if anyone out there has had a similar issues and could provide me with some troubleshooting tips and advice.

Every time I go to take off, I have noticed that the throttle control is very tight. I can hammer it down to about the 50% throttle position and then finally the motor starts to accelerate/kick in. Once the throttle control hits the 50% position, the motor will accelerate up to the necessary RPMs and there are no issues after the 50% position in accelerating. It is almost like there is a lag between when the throttle position hits 50% and when the motor receives the signal that it is time to accelerate. I have tried to adjust the screw in the front of the controls but no change. I am wondering whether it is the controls, the throttle cable or the motor that is causing this issue. I am leaning towards either the controls or the actual cable as the motor appears to do its job once it gets the appropriate signal.

I am wondering if too long a control cable could also cause this issue. I did take the control box apart and detached throttle cable itself and found that it is probably about 3-4 feet too long. When I stretched it out and got rid of any coils in the cable, there appeared to be less of a delay in the motor accepting the signal from the cable then when it was coiled up.

Anyone had any similar issues that could provide some advice on what I could look at too see if it is causing the problem. Thanks

2. Member
    Welcome to the forum. I'm confused about which control box you have, can you post a picture? It's OK to have a little long cable but no loops and not to short in the splash well. Stiff movement is usually improper throttle cable adjustment.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by calberrt View Post
    Hi All. I bought a new to me 1996 Evinrude Intruder 175 (E175GLEDB) this summer that has BRP Johnson Evinrude Outboard Side Mount Remote Control (blue controls) and it seems to be working well with the exception of one thing and I am wondering if anyone out there has had a similar issues and could provide me with some troubleshooting tips and advice.

Every time I go to take off, I have noticed that the throttle control is very tight. I can hammer it down to about the 50% throttle position and then finally the motor starts to accelerate/kick in. Once the throttle control hits the 50% position, the motor will accelerate up to the necessary RPMs and there are no issues after the 50% position in accelerating. It is almost like there is a lag between when the throttle position hits 50% and when the motor receives the signal that it is time to accelerate. I have tried to adjust the screw in the front of the controls but no change. I am wondering whether it is the controls, the throttle cable or the motor that is causing this issue. I am leaning towards either the controls or the actual cable as the motor appears to do its job once it gets the appropriate signal.

I am wondering if too long a control cable could also cause this issue. I did take the control box apart and detached throttle cable itself and found that it is probably about 3-4 feet too long. When I stretched it out and got rid of any coils in the cable, there appeared to be less of a delay in the motor accepting the signal from the cable then when it was coiled up.

Anyone had any similar issues that could provide some advice on what I could look at too see if it is causing the problem. Thanks
    I have attached a pic (i think) of my controls. Any other suggestions would be great. Thanks all!

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Nope no picture.

5. Member

think I got it this time

6. Member
    When getting old there is something new wrong every day, now I'm going color blind.