20+lb sack on the Mattaponi!!!

We knew it was going to be a little chilly and very windy, but i had not been fishing in two weeks. So my brother and I decide we were going to be there at daylight. We put in and the water temp is 56*. Wow did not think it was going to be that cool. We start fishing and within about 5 minutes I catch one about 10". About 15 minutes later I catch 1 about 2lbs. Five minutes later Larry catches 3 out of the same hole. The biggest being 3lbs. We now know the fish are chewing!!! We decide to go to a real good stretch of bank and Larry catches one 6lb 7oz. Holy $@#&!!! They are not supposed to be that big in here. Down that stretch we catch about 10.
    We go down another stretch of bank and someone else is fishing it. We talk to them about 5 minutes and tell them what we were catching them on. About 15 minutes later they leave and we go fish it. We caught about 10 more down that bank. We fish for another couple hours and catch quite a few more.

So all in all we caught about 40 fish. The biggest of 6lb 7oz, 1 a little over 4lbs, and about 10 on the 3-4 pound range. We only caught 3 shorts all day long. So one hell of a day. I encourage anyone looking for a new place to fish that is small, quiet, and secluded give it a try.

A couple other wonderful acts of nature, we saw about 11 turkey fly across the river and about a 4 point buck swim across the river.

Great times!!!!
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

2. Member
    Congrats on a great day on the water!
    1999 Stratos 273 Vindicator 2013 Yamaha 150hp HPDI Vmax

3. Member
    Awesome 20+ sack on mattaponi!!

4. Member
    The big ones gotta eat now. Water temp says so. Sacks been getting bigger and bigger down there every year. I have had some 13-15lb days in the summer months so I know they are there.

5. Member
    Sounds like a great day