Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tire tread wear question

I got 7k miles on my new set of Wildpeak AT3 tires so I figure it's time for a rotation. I checked the tread depth and I got 8/32 on back and 10/32 on front. Tires look to be wearing evenly and they drive great, no left or right tendency to drift without hands on the wheel.

Why would I have deeper tread on front? Got a two wheel drive Silverado.

Ease off the gas pedal. That or a lot of towing/hauling. An f150 i used to drive would always wear the rear tires out first but I fished a lot more back then and towing across these hills putsvwear on em.

3. Member
    A lighter foot on the pedal?
    Use to try and explain it to my dad. He never believed any story I came up with.

4. Member
    Maybe it is towing. I work from home, so I drive very little during the week. But I have been towing my boat most weekends to the lake. It's a light 16ft aluminum boat, wouldn't think that would cause it, but maybe so.

5. Member
    Back tires wear faster

6. Member
    My wife is bad about that, especially with pickup truck. My friend saw her pull out of driveway one day and he said, “I bet back tires don’t last long with her driving”.

7. Member
    Rear wheel drive . Rear tires grab and push to start the movement and keep pulling to keep or increase momentum. They are gonna wear quicker. Rotating helps spread the wear more evenly.
    GETFISHED !!!

8. Member
    Might want to rotate more frequently for more even wear.
    -
    But, I was thinking its due to rear wheel drive truck also.

9. Member
    I wear my front tires out much faster than the rear. Then again I corner my pickup harder than 99+% guaranteed. That and I am hard on brakes.

10. Member
    In my 40+ years of driving, I don't recall back tires wearing faster than the front. That is what puzzles me. I did have a truck camper on for about 2k of the 7k initial miles, maybe that load caused the wear. Don't have the camper anymore, so I'll see if the tread wear reversing to wearing more on the front.

Pick ups are lighter in the rear, could be spinning them at times?
    Neil Eckberg- Cary, NC - 2008 Skeeter ZX250- 250 Yamaha SHO

Kerr Lake Ba$$hole

Rear wheel drive vehicles always wear the rear tires down faster. More so when towing. Have a fleet of trucks to prove this. Also when growing up on the farm we never rotated tires, rears always went first.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by plunker View Post
    Rear wheel drive vehicles always wear the rear tires down faster. More so when towing. Have a fleet of trucks to prove this. Also when growing up on the farm we never rotated tires, rears always went first.
    Yup ^^^
    The back tires are pushing a 2.5 ton vehicle down the road.

14. Member
    Black marks on pavement in front of house?

15. Banned
    I have a tuned 3/4 ton diesel. Every time I start from a dead stop, I'm spinning the rear wheels even though I cannot feel it.

When I moved 300 miles, I towed a number of trailers back and forth moving some of my stuff. My OEM truck's tires only lasted 33K miles. My next set of tires were not being towed with, and I got over 40K miles on OEM quality tires.

Rear tires all have a certain amount of slippage.

16. Member
    Towing and Limited slip differential both contribute to rear tires wearing faster on my F250.
    You Don't Know what you Don't Know until you Know.

1984 Champion 201/Yamaha 175
    1986 Ranger 390v/Yamaha 200
    2002 Viper Cobra Coosa 216/Mercury 225EFI
    2002 ProSports ProKat 2200/Twin Yamaha 150HPDIs

17. Member
    Most front tires wear 2 to 2.5 times faster than rear. This is caused by the weight of the engine and the stresses of steering. 2/32 of an inch is a lot of difference for only 7000 miles. (We recommend 5000 rotation). When we see that significant a difference in treadwear it is usually caused by towing or rapid takeoff. You do not have to spin your tires to accelerate the wear on them.

I'm concerned about you driving in general, the least tread this snow mountain rated tire comes with is 13/32 and up to 20/32 so if your at 8-10.... never buy them again. The tires I. The rear don't need to burn to spin, just .1 mph faster than the road hurts them and if you roll your window down you can hear this.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

19. Member
    FWD wear front faster, RWD wear rear faster, towing wears rear faster, drag racing ...
    As noted, rotating more often will help wear them more evenly. Obviously, do it now.
    8/32 to the front, 10/32 to the rear, rear straightforward, front criss-crossed to rear.
    And please replace before they become to thin, don't slide thru your next hard stop.

20. Banned
    Basically, it takes 20-40 horsepower to just keep the truck cruising at 65mph on flat road. That power is transferred by the tires to the road. That's why the rear wears faster on a truck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast