garmin 93sv or 1042xsv

if was going to buy panoptics for trolling mtr which unit would u want and which transducer
    oldjigger
    Champion 201
    oldjiggers copperhead jigs

Dick Courser
    Clarksville Mi

2. Banned
    This is no contest! My 1242 is a great machine for livescope. The only issues I have seen so far online have been on the 93 units. The last time I tried panoptix it was with a 93 model. When I decided to try livescope that mistake wasn't made again.

A guy at garmin tech support told me the processor is borderline with the 93 models and my experience backs that up.

3. Member
    Maybe they will update the 93’s processor..we need a low cost way into livescope

4. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Isn’t the screen resolution a lot better on the 10-12?

5. Member
    any more help
    oldjigger
    Champion 201
    oldjiggers copperhead jigs

Dick Courser
    Clarksville Mi

6. Member
    I’m using a 1022xsv and really like it.
    Great unit in my book.

7. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    If the LS "brains" are in the black box how does it use up memory on the unit?
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

8. Member
    In some ways I agree and other ways I disagree. For years I have taken into account the screen resolution specifications in making purchase decsions. I made an exception while using Lowrance and bought both an HDS8 and HDS10. The HDS10 had a pixel size of 0.0104 while the HDS8 had 0.0082. The HDS8 had the best display as predictable. The HDS10 in shallow water using side imaging would be pixelated while the HDS8 was crisp. Now skip ahead some years and while using the UHD in shallow water and short ranges I compared the 7610xsv and 1242xsv. They were networked so that allowed me to do an apples to apples comparison looking that the same thing at the same time on both units. The pixel size on the 7610 is 0.0067. The 1242 is 0.0080. I was certain that the detail on the 7610 would be better than on the 1242. Not so. I spent about 2 hours on this one comparison trying to find a location or circumstance where one of them gave better detail than the other. I did not find it. Now all this sounds like I am off topic since the original post was comparing the Plus 93sv to a 1042xsv. Just hang on. Go back and reconsider the results of this comparison. That is that the superior technical specifications of the 7610xsv display did not produce a better visual image than the 1242xsv.

Now based on the same assumptions in the previous comparison lets compare the spec of the Plus 93sv and 1042xsv the OP asked about. The pixel size of the Plus 93sv is 0.0102 andd the 1042xsv 0.0104. I don't think that would be visually detectable. Now I have used the Plus 93sv extensively and endorse it without hesitation for use with all the combo transducers, 2d transducers, Panoptix versions and LiveScope. The only reservation I have with this unit is that it only networks sonar with other Plus 7 and 9 inch units, not GPSMAP units. For that reason it is impossible for me to do a head to head, apples to apples comparison since I can't network the 93sv with any of my GPSMAP units to look at the same thing at the same time. I have no choice but to base my comparisons on using one in one place at one time with using the others, perhaps at the same place but at different times and possible different conditions.

The things that I see that do make a difference and a huge difference is the depth and range settings regardless of unit. You've all seen the LiveScope videos that were done at close range is very shallow water. There is no comparison whatsoever with those images and the ones I see with the depth set to 100+ft and 80-100 ft ranges. What are clearly fish in shallow water and close ranges are merely dots on the 100-100 setttings.

I do have a theory on why units with technically superior specs may not actually display a more detailed picture, but I've already been long winded so I'll not go into that right now.

To answer the original question I would recommend the Plus 93sv unless he plans to add a second unit that was a GPSMAP unit. For the transducer PS22 unless he wants to pay the difference and get LiveScope. And if that's within his budget I would most definitely get the LiveScope over the PS22.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.