Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned

Vietnam Vet sentenced to 7 years in Plano, Texas for 'collector's gun'

I've looked at this incident from a couple different sources and can't find what is "actually going on". It seems this could've been settled 'out of Court'? I've seen nothing else about it and to be honest didn't check the Texas Statutes. But a guy who buys a rifle 40 years ago because it reminded Him of the long gun He carried in "The Nam" would get every benefit of a doubt... Was a POW for a short period.

Members in the Plano area is there more to this story? Is the District Attorney looking to progress in politics™?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/vietnam...tomatic-rifle/

https://www.activistpost.com/2018/10...years-ago.html

Am I missing something here?
    Last edited by LewStulePH.D.; 10-21-2018 at 11:44 AM.

2. Member
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Bye, bye.
    FWIW here on BBC, the serial number was removed.
    And the convict was aware of Federal restrictions.

3. Banned
    Do You think the "friend" Mark ratted Him out or someone down at the local VFW™?

I feel for the guy...but he probably knew all along it was illegal. Somebody definitely ratted on him.

Something isn't right here...either the story left out some important facts or the local prosecutor/judge had it in for him.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

6. Member
    Why didn't he just get a smi-auto. Looks the same as the auto. Or he could have gotten a permit for an auto. At least I have heard you can. With his service record don't see why he couldn't get the permit. He did break a law but that was a little harsh.

7. Member
    He buys a gun 30 years ago, puts it in a display case and never uses it. Silver star and combat air veteran. Does not add up.

8. Member
    i wonder if it was a issued army weapon and come up gone years ago and thats why the numbers was off of it,i feel sorry for him but we all know you never buy a gun with serial numbers messed with

9. Banned
    Full auto is illegal, it’s as simple as that.

My grandpa (used to be sheriff here for many years) had a Thompson Machine gun years ago that used to belong to a mobster, he was going to donate the gun to a museum; but the museum said they had to fill the barrel with lead if they took it. Grandpa ended up giving it back to the family members, not sure what ever came of it. I’m sure they sold that thing for serious $$$.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    He buys a gun 30 years ago, puts it in a display case and never uses it. Silver star and combat air veteran. Does not add up.
    Looking deeper reveals the Silver Star AND He just got done burying His wife 2 weeks ago. In one of the places to get more info I had to register a nom de plume

EDIT: Found the MAJOR issue.. Evidently Mr. Pick's wife suffered from Neurological disease and used marihuana. Evidently during the Search Warrant the decedent's medicine was found.
    Last edited by LewStulePH.D.; 10-21-2018 at 11:44 AM.

They also found drug paraphernalia and cocaine in the house as well. I don't think he was too on the up and up.
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2005 Lund Rebel SS 1650 w/25 HP Merc 4-stroke
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Yep...has to be a back story

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Full auto is illegal, it’s as simple as that.
    Although in this case it appears the firearm was not registered, your comment is incorrect. An individual can own a full-auto as long as it falls within certain perameters, they are not prohibited, and it is not in conflict with state or local law. The missing serial number is a bigger giveaway that something was up and is also a Federal crime.
    USMC (Ret) 1988-2008
    2014 Lowe Stinger ST175
    Mercury 75 HP four stroke

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AirForceAngler View Post
    They also found drug paraphernalia and cocaine in the house as well. I don't think he was too on the up and up.

And President of the Homeowner's Association...... His daughter turned Him in.

Just goes to show You.. If You want to get the "real scoop" You have to do most of the work Yourself...

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/guns...rifle-purchase

Also 'read' "heardtell" that He stole the firearm and didn't buy it...

My guess, the rifle in question was fully auto, may have been bought illegally,( I know several that tried to sneak different weapons home after they're tour) some goody two shoes knew about it and ratted him out, he was illegal from the get go, it's a chance he took.not saying he shouldn't be punished, But the sentence seems a bit harsh. we have convicted murders in prison that will do about the same time.Yet they'll turn them loose with the possibility of them killing again.because you know, their lives are worth so much.

Quote Originally Posted by LewStulePH.D. View Post
    And President of the Homeowner's Association...... His daughter turned Him in.

Just goes to show You.. If You want to get the "real scoop" You have to do most of the work Yourself...

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/guns...rifle-purchase

Also 'read' "heardtell" that He stole the firearm and didn't buy it...
    Goes to show guessing can be so wrong, still don't agree with the sentencing guide lines in this case when you compare apples to apples.

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    Goes to show guessing can be so wrong, still don't agree with the sentencing guide lines in this case when you compare apples to apples.
    I think this shows that 'the real story' is there but You have to dig for it. With this being typed, imagine if a Law was passed that allowed the Gov't. to use Propaganda/Behavioral Sciences in manufacturing "news stories" e.g. Remember when Congress had the Ciggy people up front?

Imagine NOTHING. They are using it:

https://foreignpolicy.com/2013/07/14...-to-americans/

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov...serve-american

But which TV station gives You the 'real news'? Fox™ or are they too complicit in this?

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    Poor guy got 10 years for possession with intent ... and he really WAS planning to smoke the entire baggy alone.
    Jonathan Wigginton III got 100 hours of community service and two years of probation for theft of $80,000.
    Our laws and our justice system aren't designed to be fair. They are designed to have an intended effect on us.
    At times, it's to send a message, other times it to extract revenue, occasionally it covers behavioral changes.

Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    Poor guy got 10 years for possession with intent ... and he really WAS planning to smoke the entire baggy alone.
    Jonathan Wigginton III got 100 hours of community service and two years of probation for theft of $80,000.
    Our laws and our justice system aren't designed to be fair. They are designed to have an intended effect on us.
    At times, it's to send a message, other times it to extract revenue, occasionally it covers behavioral changes.
    agree, the law isn't fair, that's why when you are convicted of murder beyond a shadow of a doubt you should not be breathing air. it's to send a message to others that are contemplating murdering someone.

Yeah, the law is the law BUT.....
    He's a 70 year old decorated war veteran who lost his wife to cancer two weeks prior to the raid. Somebody snitched him out about possessing a 30+ year old rifle that supposedly never been taken out of his gun case and fired. Plus one article stated he was charged with marijuana possession (wife's medicinal cannabis).
    Pure stupidity.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast