Toledo Bend report

Anyone been on Toledo Bend lately? I'm headed there Wednesday and have a 2 day kayak tournament this coming weekend. Haven't been there since last year at this time. Just wondering how the lake is fishing and the conditions? Is the South end clear? How's the grass? Only found one small area last year that had hydrilla and of course it held the fish. Hoping that there is a little more this year!

2. Bobby8
    Had our clubs 2-day there last weekend. We don't fish know the lake. It was tough as it has been for locals we hear. I fished for 3 1/2 days and caught only 6 keepers. Good grass in Mills and 6 Mile.

Thanks for the info. Last year I spent a week pre-fishing for the event after driving in from Northern California. Took me several days to find a pattern/area that produced more than a single fish every few hours. The fish I finally found the day before the tourney were of the caliber needed to win the event. Unfortunately the night before the tourney my wife's brother passed away. We packed up and headed to South Carolina to handle the services. This year I only get one day of practice to put something together so figured I would ask here to try and improve my odds. Thankfully I'm driving there from South Carolina this year and don't have a 36 hour drive each way!! Worse come to worse I have a weekend of fishing somewhere other than my home waters! LOL

4. Bobby8
    Hopefully one of the locals will chime in and help you out. You might take a look on the Texas Fishing Forum and ask there. The is some pretty good no on Bass Resource Just type in Toledo Bend Have a safe trip down.

You really should save a bunch of fuel and time and go elsewhere.
    If I didn't have a place up there, I'd wouldn't bother going myself.

It has been more than "tough" for over a year. It's been TERRIBLE.
    Something has happened to that pond, there's a lot of speculation and opinions, but no one seems to have THE answer.

Heard from a very reliable source that a good many of the Guides are turning away customers, because they can't get on any fish.

The ONLY common answer that I've heard to the "problem", is "go to Rayburn".

"ain't too smart.....but I'm always thinkin"

6. Member
    Wacky worm REALLY SLOW over the deep grass. If the weather is good a moving bait will catch some smaller fish.

Ain't no deep grass where I fish. ain't no grass at all where I fish.

And the spots I been fishin since June are deep drops that have produced fish for YEARS, early Summer through Fall.
    They ain't there anymore.
    Why?

They damn sure didn't all swim down to the south end.

8. Member
    Man, it wont be a popular opinion but but I think all that spraying during the spawn kills fish. Now, I really dont know that for sure so who knows. I also think when theres no grass in an area the fish just go suspend out in the timber because the bait leaves. The only grass is down south and theres not much so it gets beat to death.

I do not disagree with you.
    I have my own opinions but I would really like an explanation from a fisheries biologist.

10. Member
    I haven’t fished much even though I’m there every weekend. Everyone I know says fishing sux. The shad run should be starting now. You can find grass in the southern part of the lake but most of it that exists is not in the right place, historically speaking. Most of the grass is gone. I have no idea if the poison kills fish. There is no doubt however that the fishing, with respect to bass, has taken a serious nosedive.

11. Member
    Humps next to deep water 18-30 ft and around docks and boat houses near deep water
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148