Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Testing the Allison Grand Sport with a Mercury 150 Four Stroke

Here is the preliminary report on the 150 four stroke. Looking forward to making some adjustments, but impressed so far.

https://www.wavetowave.com/home/2018...-a-mercury-150

-

2. Member
    Sounds promising.

3. Member
    Good report. Good observations. Woody figured out pretty quick how to get a water pickup reading going on his new motor. It was pretty ingenious and it took him all of about 5 minutes to install in my back yard before we started running and testing. I read some of Darris's answers to questions in the accompanying article and he said the new boat he is trying to turn out will be much bigger and 3 times more efficient than anything on the market. 3 times is pretty darn efficient. Sign me up!

4. Banned
    Hmm, so it's actually 477lbs with cowling. Is it typical that outboard manufacturers give the weight minus cowling or is that just a thing with Mercury as then they can make claims like "it's the lightest 150hp 4-stroke on the market"?

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelman View Post
    Hmm, so it's actually 477lbs with cowling. Is it typical that outboard manufacturers give the weight minus cowling or is that just a thing with Mercury as then they can make claims like "it's the lightest 150hp 4-stroke on the market"?
    None weigh with the cowling as far as I know.

One mistake in the initial report was the upper mounts on the ProXS are not the same as the Sea Pro version. The ProXS are stiffer. We will run the ProXS upper and probably make solid lowers.

Will probably have a 26" Trophy ready to test soon.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wave to Wave View Post
    None weigh with the cowling as far as I know.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=938157

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=938156

8. Banned
    One mistake in the initial report was the upper mounts on the ProXS are not the same as the Sea Pro version. The ProXS are stiffer. We will run the ProXS upper and probably make solid lowers.

Will probably have a 26" Trophy ready to test soon.
    The extreme duty mounts are NSS item with no part number that existed before the Sea Pro as the document I have from Mercury is dated 2013 and the Sea Pro came out in 2015. When the Pro XS came out in 2018 and was marketed with stiffer mounts I asked Mercury where the mounts came from as I knew they were a completely different than the 2-stroke and not interchangeable as I had previously asked about upgrading they told me they were from the SeaPro. The part number is different and I have never seen a SeaPro version or a ProXS version to compare with mine, but am interested to see if yours has a washer/snubber on the set you get if you'll post a picture. Since the mount (not labor) was covered under warranty, they requested my old ones back.

9. Moderator
    Very nice write up.

Evinrude weights them when they are crate ready, no cowling. They told me that, themselves. Not sure about Yamaha.

Should be getting back to testing around November 7 or 8. Should have the ProXS upper mounts on soon after that. I'll try and do it step by step. Cant' wait, but I'm tied up right now and can't get to it.

12. Banned
    Evinrude weights them when they are crate ready, no cowling. They told me that, themselves. Not sure about Yamaha.
    So when Allison says not to install an outboard that weighs more than 440lbs that's with or without cowl?

Great article and boat/setup. Looking forward to seeing what you do next and how it performs.

Btw your classified classics article is hilarious but also a great read!
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelman View Post
    The part number is different and I have never seen a SeaPro version or a ProXS version to compare with mine, but am interested to see if yours has a washer/snubber on the set you get if you'll post a picture. Since the mount (not labor) was covered under warranty, they requested my old ones back.
    Ya, I'll post a pic and take a look.

Quote Originally Posted by J Risco View Post
    Great article and boat/setup. Looking forward to seeing what you do next and how it performs.

Btw your classified classics article is hilarious but also a great read!
    Thank you. We should have a 26" Trophy to test next, and the water pressure gauge. It'll be interesting to see. Won't be able to get it on the water until about Nov. 8 though. Hoping to get to the mid to high 70s.

16. Member
    2B96001C-7C2B-4524-B662-23B681C01691.jpg
    Seems a nose cone will change your game.

So we have run our Grand Sport with a stock Merc 150 four stroke, and so far so good. We upgraded the upper mounts to the ProXS mounts, and they are a small improvement. Best was 72 MPH at 5570 RPM with a stock 28" promax prop. We need low water pickup to get it higher, and can probably squeeze a couple more out of it. That's our first step. Will look at solid mounts, and ECU upgrade after. The goal is 80 MPH with minimal modification.

18. Member
    200 on an xb2003 is 85 all day and 90 solo and light. A 150 should get to 80 with lwp with ease

Man I REALLY like the look of that thing.

20. Banned
    So we have run our Grand Sport with a stock Merc 150 four stroke, and so far so good. We upgraded the upper mounts to the ProXS mounts, and they are a small improvement. Best was 72 MPH at 5570 RPM with a stock 28" promax prop. We need low water pickup to get it higher, and can probably squeeze a couple more out of it. That's our first step. Will look at solid mounts, and ECU upgrade after. The goal is 80 MPH with minimal modification.

Was wondering if you'd gotten them installed and been back out, have you talked to Simon about the tuning and what rpm peak hp is made?
    According to the CARB report it's at 5400rpm for the standard and 5500 for the Pro XS version though I've always ran fastest right up to the limiter and had heard they were detuned which is why Mercury bumped the limiter on the Pro XS version which is claimed to make 5 hp more and more torque because of the transient spark though the report shows the same hp and torque...
    https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/offroa...001-0476-1.pdf

Do you happen to know the guy claiming 77mph in this thread?
    https://texasfishingforum.com/forums...boat_top_speed

Here's a video of the stock mounts before I had them changed while trailering that got taken down as I had posted it in the 4-stroke section in a thread about motor toters as Basscat recommends the truss type though many think they transmit shock. Notice I have clips on the hydraulic steering rams, which means all the movement is from the mounts. Anyways did you notice a difference in durometer between the two? Btw the sportmaster from the V8 should bolt-up to the 225hp V6 Don said, so that'll have to be your next project;)
    Last edited by Wheelman; 12-03-2018 at 05:55 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast