Anyone throw Squarebills on a NRX? Which one?

Thinking of pulling the trigger for a new Squarebill rod. Really like nrx. Anyone have a suggestion on which one to get?

2. Member
    Would be overkill for a squarebill rod imo. All of them ive used are entirely too fast for a squarebill and id imagine itd be hard to keep em pinned. NRX's shine in bottom contact presentations
    They aint got hands, set the hook

3. Member
    I have thrown a 1.5 on my NRX843mbr at times. It works ok, but I believe their are better options out there.

4. Member
    A Conquest 843 would be better but still overkill

5. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    I had a 852C NRX I used for squarebills, I use a 842C Conquest now for small/medium squarebills.

The NRX has a extra fast tip, the Conquest just fast with a more moderate taper. They're both versatile rods and a variety of baits can be thrown with them both. If you're strictly looking for a squarebill only rod, I'd probably go with something else.

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

6. Banned
    I say if have the money get the nrx. I bet you’ll have the nicest squarebill rod on the lake!

7. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Like others have said an NRX wouldn't be my first choice for a squarebill rod but NRX's are awesome and if you're set on getting an NRX, I'd go with the 852c paired with a reel that has a nice smooth drag for treble hook baits and you'll have a hard-to-put-down combo that will work for squarebills and a whole bunch of other stuff (flukes, light t-rig, weightless senkos, shakeyhead, tiny paddletails, jerkbait, ...)
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

8. Member
    I have settled on a GLX845cbr for most of my square bill and small to medium cranks. Got a lot of sensitivity but still a more parabolic action. Keeps em pinned real well.

9. Member
    Thanks for the suggestions. Not sure if I want to pull the trigger on a conquest? What are your thoughts on it? Do you have any other suggestions?

Personally, I couldn’t see spending that kind of coin for a squarebill rod, but to each his own. I use a SC Avid Crankbait rod Medium Moderate action with a 6.4:1 reel for squarebills up to about 5/8 ounces (Echo 1.75). Perfect action for working squarebills around cover, loads up well, and it’s plenty sensitive for fishing cranks.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

11. Member
    The MBR 843 possibly you could try the 802 or 803 depending on weight of lure. Non are true crank rods but the MBR will have a more forgiving taper.
    Last edited by kickerfish1; 10-23-2018 at 02:08 PM.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrew73 View Post
    I bet you’ll have the nicest squarebill rod on the lake!
    Ha, no joke! Definitely overkill..

13. Member
    I actually think the NRX would be a bad rod for that situation. The rod is fast and way to stiff. I would go with a high end glass rod .