Running on 5 cylinders

Etec 150 E150DHLSUF

Looking from the back top right cylinder not working. Pulled the injector and it is spitting gas like crazy when out. Have plenty of spark at the plug which is new. Haven't checked pressure but piston definitly turning.

What do I need to check?
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Compression.

Thanks for the response Fred.

I was holding my breath but compression is 120-125 on all 6 cylinders. I think that is OK. The one that is not firing is actually on the higher side at 125.
    Is there something that can get plugged between the injector and the cylinder? Anything else I can check?
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Should be an O ring between the injector and the head.

There is a gasket. Could it be the reed valve stuck open or shut? When I was doing the pressure check the plug was not getting wet but the other ones did. It is really like the gas is not getting to it.

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    You'll have to take the throttle body off to get to them to inspect the reeds, not like the old carb days when you could hold a piece of paper over the carb body. It will cost you a couple gaskets to perform the check.

Ok. I think I am getting ahead of myself on the reed valves and that may be beyond what I would be confident doing anyway. Beyond seeing gas and seeing spark I really have not tested actual fuel injector pressure and spark voltage. The EMM has the injector/ignition fault light on when the engine is running. Is there a simple way to check injector pressure and ignition or do I need to bite the bullet and take it in to a service dealer.

8. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sdbrison View Post
    The EMM has the injector/ignition fault light on when the engine is running. .
    Good to know info .......

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

Quote Originally Posted by omcforever View Post
    Yea, I obviously wouldn't qualify even as a shade tree mechanic Been doing a lot of internet research, lot of information out there but it is very scattered, at least to me. Just learned today that there was lights on the emm so pulled the cover off the top to see what I had.

bump. I may have hi-jacked my own thread.
    The EMM has the injector/ignition fault light on when the engine is running.
    Is there a simple way to check injector pressure and ignition?
    If I get the engine diagnostic software and cable will it do that?

Turned out my injector was shot. Small investment for diagnostics software and cable was well worth the price. Fixed the problem and also showed all of the information the dealer would have. So far so good on the replacement

12. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sdbrison View Post
    The EMM has the injector/ignition fault light on when the engine is running.

Quote Originally Posted by omcforever View Post

Just turn the key off and the light will go away...problem solved ...where's Carnac the Magnificent at when you need him the most

In all seriousness though...glad to hear your up and running

Good to be up and running.

14. Member
    I'd check your pencil filter on the VST, heres the link:

15. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Z20Tim View Post
    I'd check your pencil filter on the VST, heres the link:
    And that would effect running on 5 cylinders how?

16. Member
    This thing gets gunked up restricted fuel going to the injectors. Mine was clogged and I lost an injector, this is the only filter coming off the VST, if your fuel pump or fuel line deteriorate, this needs to be cleaned, the place I took it to to get injector replaced didnt even check this. I bought a new VST assembly hoping it helps. Low fuel pressure to injector kills them.

Quote Originally Posted by Z20Tim View Post
    This thing gets gunked up restricted fuel going to the injectors. Mine was clogged and I lost an injector, this is the only filter coming off the VST, if your fuel pump or fuel line deteriorate, this needs to be cleaned, the place I took it to to get injector replaced didnt even check this. I bought a new VST assembly hoping it helps. Low fuel pressure to injector kills them.
    hmmm. interesting.