Heated storage and fogging

If I’m putting away my 250hp pro Xs into 6 month storage but it’s heated storage , do I need to fog the engine? Thank you

Cost benefit.....Just spray a little fogging oil in the cylinders. Easy to do, cheap and you will sleep better for 6 months.
    2000 Ranger 520DVX 225hpdi

Quote Originally Posted by swimrunbiker View Post
    If I’m putting away my 250hp pro Xs into 6 month storage but it’s heated storage , do I need to fog the engine? Thank you
    You may want to look into this, good advice here for long storage.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=21874
    2013 Ranger Z520c Mercury 250 Pro XS
    1990 Ranger 361V 1991 Johnson 150 Fast Strike J150GLEIS

Just curious, at what temperature do you call a heated ? My garage is heated I hold 55 degress. I would recommend to follow MFG winterization procedure.
    Retired 2022...Ranger 2011 Z520, OptiMax 250 1B822149, 8" Bob's Jack-plate, Helix 12si / Helix12di, Duel 12' Talon's, Ultrex 112 i-Pilot Link, Mega 360 and Bravo XS 25.
    At ~400 hours had injectors clean and calibrated by INTEGRITY Injection (by
    European Marine)

5. Member
    Don has gone to great length to provide an awesome winterization process (link in reply #3). I've followed it for my Optimax and it works just fine heated storage or not. DO NOT fog your Optimax.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Personally, I would still fully winterize the motor (and boat). What if you lose power for a day or longer. It is not a chance I would be willing to take.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    Personally, I would still fully winterize the motor (and boat). What if you lose power for a day or longer. It is not a chance I would be willing to take.
    That doesn't apply to the engine fogging question, only freezing of the cooling system.

I do "fog" (oil in cylinders) on my engines, but wonder about the necessity. My Corvette sits in storage just as long as the boats, and I know of no one up here that fogs cylinders on seasonal cars.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Forum Announcements, and update your thread with the required info.

Thanks!

In answer to your question- Follow the recommendations in the link provided above (which is from the FAQ Section, at the top of the forum).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor