Pickwick Asian Carp

I was fishing down near JP Coleman yesterday and saw some big fish breaking water in the back of a cove. I was thinking schooling fish, but instead it was tons of Asian Carp. Probably 20"/24" long. Most were cruising just underneath the surface, but sad to see them here when you consider how the fishing is in Kentucky Lake. I saw some back in the summer up near the dam as well. It won't be long before they take over the ledges.
    Last edited by openlake; 10-20-2018 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Mis-spelling

2. Moderator
    Snagged and landed one today, they are thick already and I have graphed them on the river already.

I sure hate to hear that!! I knew it was only a matter of time before they start showing up in huge numbers. I am sure they will make their way down to Bay before too long.

4. Moderator
    Then down the waterway it’s gonna be ugly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Bass Man View Post
    I sure hate to hear that!! I knew it was only a matter of time before they start showing up in huge numbers. I am sure they will make their way down to Bay before too long.

Pickwick will be like Kentucky in just a few years! Such a sad thing

6. Member
    I found them in the canal last time I was up there. Nice school of them.

7. Member

Asian Carp

Guess that’s a good reason to take my AR with me fishing from now on. Haha

Quote Originally Posted by mysuzytoo View Post
    Pickwick will be like Kentucky in just a few years! Such a sad thing
    Asian Carp are not the reason Kentucky is struggling. Yes the carp suck, but we have had them for 20 years over here on the MS river. They have been thick for at least 10 years and at times it looks like you could walk across the lake on their backs. The last few years have been some of the best for fishing since the early 90s. Its not the carp, its high flows during flooding or something that hurt the spawn for a few years or something. Kentucky will be back. The carp will make you have to adjust the way you fish though.

9. Member
    They “shouldn’t” be an issue for Bay or the rest of the waterway. They require current flow to spawn as the eggs must remain suspended. I don’t believe that Bay or the waterway has the current required for them to spawn successfully.

10. Mississippi River Rat Kittycat2012's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickwicked Basser View Post
    They “shouldn’t” be an issue for Bay or the rest of the waterway. They require current flow to spawn as the eggs must remain suspended. I don’t believe that Bay or the waterway has the current required for them to spawn successfully.
    They aren't having any trouble reproducing on our delta oxbows that have zero current. Being somebody that has dealt with this for over 15 years now I really don't see the issue. Nuisance ... yes. Weve had them for years and I mean so thick you can walk across the lake on top of them and most of our oxbows connected to the river are fishing as good as Ive ever seen. I personally think the Kentucky Lake problem is pressure.
    2023 Basscat Eyra
    Mercury pro team - Humminbird - Bobs - Power Pole - Garmin
    Hammer Rods
    The Tackle Trap

http://www.hammerrods.com/
    http://tackletrap.com/

11. Mississippi River Rat Kittycat2012's Avatar
    LOL Matt I just saw your post after I typed mine Guys we fish against each other so there is an opinion from guys who have dealt with it for years. The biggest issue on the ledges youll have is distinguising between the two on DI/SI and it wont take you l9ongto figure it out
    2023 Basscat Eyra
    Mercury pro team - Humminbird - Bobs - Power Pole - Garmin
    Hammer Rods
    The Tackle Trap

http://www.hammerrods.com/
    http://tackletrap.com/

12. Moderator
    You go to one one end of a waterway lake and the spillway is rolling and the other end the spillway is rolling. Current!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickwicked Basser View Post