Blade bait painting

I don't have an airbrush and don't plan on getting one. Can I paint simple patterns with spray cans and have them last? Use a clear acrylic top coat? Does it matter if I start with brass or nickel baits?
    David Geske
    Boatless Family Man

Brass takes paint better. Use laquer if you can. I think it will hold up longer. If you want some nickel to show through for flash, Then use nickel. Too much paint and clear does rob some of the action. Use paint and clear sparingly.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

I painted a few with fingernail polish. It will chip off after a while, but is easy to touch up. Or, you can use these kinds of stickers.

http://www.lurepartsonline.com/Onlin...-Stickers.html

The original RAD Chatterbaits used a silver sticker on most of their baits.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Blade baits Jeff.... Not bladed jigs. Are you really a retired college professor?

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    Blade baits Jeff.... Not bladed jigs. Are you really a retired college professor?
    LOL! A senile retired prof! BTW, congrats on the win today!
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

6. Member

7. Member
    If you're just looking for a solid color/pattern, I've had success powder coating blade baits. Just need to make sure you scuff it real good and use some adhesion promoter.

8. Member
    I use brass inserts, clean them with acetone or brake cleaner (this is important in making sure the paint adheres properly), apply a coat of automotive red oxide primer and finissh coat with appliance epoxy. The color selection is limited, but since I make most of my baits either white or silver, that doesn't bother me.
    I also use the stickers that VanderLaan linked to above.
    I've tried powder coating, but I need a bigger fluid bed to do the larger size (1/2oz.) baits.

Tom