Aortic Valve Surgery

Have any of y'all had your Aortic Valve replaced, if so did they crack your chest open or did the go in through the leg artery. What type of valve was used and did you have any complications if so what were they. I have to have my replaced with in the next 2 months.

I had it done a couple years ago. No big deal really. Knocked me out, cracked me open, worked their magic, and then I woke up. They did it on a Thursday night. Friday is kind of blurry, Saturday was OK. Sunday morning I was out of ICU and watched the superbowl that evening with the wife and kids, eating beef fajitas. Monday, they threw me back on the street about noon.

I also had a triple bypass at the same time. No pain except when I sneezed. The last thing I remember before going in was the doc asking if I liked Jack Daniels. 'Yep'. "Well this stuff is a lot better" And then it was the next day. About a month without lifting anything to keep the ribs from popping apart. Cardiac rehab was great. I suggest you do it.

I never had a heart attack or anything, it was found on a physical. Did the ekg, ecg, nuke stress test, then they said I had to have it done.

3. Member
    I have been in on many of the procedures called TAVR Trans Aortic Valve Repair. It is the one through the leg. Simple procedure, quicker then opening the chest. Also quicker recovery. That being said a lot more goes into the decision of which way they choose to go. Age has a lot to do with it. The younger the patient is I believe they would go through the chest. Older and high risk patients for opening the chest the leg will be used.

4. Member
    New valve and two BPs in 2011 at U of Pa. Use a combo pig/bovine valve and Dr told me it's good for 20 yrs. Healing of the incision was the worse part, and the no lifting for a while is serious. Only downside was occasional golf ball size pains just below the collarbone and I think that was from cutting some muscles in the upper chest. After a while, I started doing pushups kneeling type vs on your toes, and that helped along with the application of local heat. Operation in the winter and I fished my BFL Div that year. My op was due to shortness of breath which happens when the valve doesn't close fully and a smaller than normal amt of blood gets oxygenated.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by whnigt View Post
    I have been in on many of the procedures called TAVR Trans Aortic Valve Repair. It is the one through the leg. Simple procedure, quicker then opening the chest. Also quicker recovery. That being said a lot more goes into the decision of which way they choose to go. Age has a lot to do with it. The younger the patient is I believe they would go through the chest. Older and high risk patients for opening the chest the leg will be used.

Me too!
    I must have too old to have the chect opening and it was done thru the legs.
    Overnight stay and released the next AM.
    That was 5 years ago and nothing further to watch except some bending over issues, especially when putting on socks.

Good luck!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4fishlips View Post
    Have any of y'all had your Aortic Valve replaced, if so did they crack your chest open or did the go in through the leg artery. What type of valve was used and did you have any complications if so what were they. I have to have my replaced with in the next 2 months.
    My 95 yr. old mother had her's replaced 2 months ago and is doing well. They went in thru her femoral artery, not chest cracking. I took her home the following day. Amazing technology.

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    Thanks for the information on the surgical options.... I have a faulty Aortic valve it was discovered on my draft physical many, many years ago have a thorough Cardiac checkup every year and it hasn't gotten any worse but sure makes some weird sounds. My Cardiologist said there were options if the time comes it needs to be replaced glad to hear more about them.

8. Member
    I forgot I also need a stent put in one of the veins that is right at the heart. The doctor also told me the valve (pig) will only last about 10 years but the mechanical one will last a life time but I will have to take meds the rest of my life. I have read that some people that get the mechanical one say they can hear the valve working, the sound keeps them awake at night but you will get use to it. I really don't know which one too pick but I will talk to my family and we will decide what is the best because I have had cancer 3 times and told my family that if I get it again I will not take any treatments.