2003 efi merc 3.0. Trim wont work

Worked fine earlier today on the water then it quit and will not work from anywhere on the boat
    Found the relays on the starboard side and they click when using the buttons
    How can I get the motor up so I can get it home?
    Serial# OT665793

Skeg is an inch off the ground and need to at least get the motor up and not sure how

2. Member
    If you can find the relays under the cowling you can reverse them to trim up. Reverse them again to trim down. Or there is a screw you can turn. Then manually lift it. Then tighten screw.

The relays I found. Couldn't get anything to work when trying to jump power to the motor
    Found the manual screw. Tried to loosen it and it cracked right in the grove so now I'm trying to raise the motor up high enough with the jackplate ti st least get the boat home

4. Member
    Luke, hopefully you found a way home. If you need the special tools required to rebuild tilt let me know, I have. Get parts rlfrom EU marine, they are awesome!

Mike. Thanks might have to take you up on that
    I never got the motor to trim up pit direct power to the trim notor st rhe plug rhe relays plug into and nothing.
    Tried to unscrew the manual release valve on the side of the trim pump and that stupid thing cracked. Just old and brittle I guess. So now I got that to deal with first on getting it changed so I can get the motor up to be able to even get to the trim motor

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Need to test the battery voltage- and also verify power and ground are being supplied from the relay assembly harness to the trim motor.

May be as simple as a trim motor that's failing.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Thanks Don.

now how do I get thee nylon screw manual release valve out to replace it? I see they have a trim rebuild kit to replace it but how do I get the screw out with half the head broke off

If there is enough left you might try cutting another screwdriver slot or Vice grips... if not - ease out.
    Also a heat gun should help.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If the screw is seized and wouldn't turn, stop there and have the system REMOVED from the engine before trying to extract the screw.

The more that breaks off, the worse the situation becomes. Right now, if the system were OUT, pliers or vise-grips MIGHT get the job done. That is, however, likely a "one-shot" situation. Increase your odds with some better access.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

ok problem I have is how do I take the system out if the trim wont raise the motor for me to be able to get to the system to remove that screw

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Try this first:

Disconnect the main harness from the Trim Motor (inside the cowling) at the large bullet connectors.

Connect one lead to 12V+ Power (such as at the main power lug on the side of the engine), and the other wire straight to GROUND.

Motor should run in one direction.

Switch wires/connections, trim should run the other direction.

Results match: Switch, wiring, or relay problem.

Results do NOT match: Trim motor bad (or lack of power at the points you connected to).

Don tried running power to the motor doesn't run

How do I get the plastic screw thing out that is broke
    Tried making a new groove in the plastic screw and it still wokt budge
    What happens if I drill a hole through it? Ez out work?

I finally got it out

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar