Trim wont worn and notor is down

John. By chance you ever ran into a problem on an 03 merc with the trim not working.
    It worked fine earlier today when I went to load the boat up the trim wont work off of any switch on the boat.
    Found the relays for them and they click when pushing thr button but that's it
    Motor is trimmed down and I dont know if I can trailer it without dragging the skeg off

you should have a manual screw on the port side near the mounting bracket. Would have a slot and use a flat screwdriver. Turn counter clockwise to loosen. then raise the motor by lifting at the lower unit, usually the cavitation plate. Raise it enough to put the flip bracket ( don't know the actual name for it) down & put your motor toter on. Re-tighten the screw.

3. Member
    If the relays are clicking then they need to be replaced. There are 2 and the main power replay but I can't remember which 2 go to the trim. They are relatively inexpensive and just pop out and back in. In a pinch we have had to tap them with something hard (hammer, pliers, etc) to get us back because the motor was trimmed up and would not come back down.

Edited: Just saw this was an EFI Merc and I was talking about an Optimax. The relays may be the same but I am not sure.

George Brock

2015 920 Pro/XP
    2015 Mercury 250 Pro/XS
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades

4. Banned
    More or a Mercury question than a trolling motor question....... but...
    Does the trim motor run when you try to trim in the "down" direction? If so, then the "up" relay is likely bad.
    If it doesn't run either way, then there's a main power connection that's bad, a blow fuse, or the motor itself is gone.

5. Member
    You need both relays to move the motor. When one is off it conducts through the normally de-energized contacts. I think if you swapped them it might work, they are the same IF they are plug in relays. They're cheap, if one goes bad change them both. They're a common automobile part.

6. Member
    We discussed this on facebook post in the Basscat page. If the relays are clicking, they probably do not need replacing. That means they are making and you should be getting voltage to the trim motor. You probably have a trim motor issue. I'm giving this as a benefit to those that are posting regarding bad relays. If in doubt, find where the trim motor plugs into the wiring harness ( a large blue bullet and a large green bullet connection) and unplug. ground one side and feed voltage to the other. If the trim motor runs, replace the relays. If it doesn't, you have a bad trim motor.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

7. Member
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

8. Member
    If the relays click when you hit the UP and Down buttons than it could be a grounding issue. My trim stopped working and the relays would click when I hit the up and down button. The ground wire on the motor was loose. Tightened the nut holding it on and the problem was fixed. Might want to try that before tearing into motors or buying expensive parts.

9. Member
    Even if a relay clicks that doesn't mean it works. Usually the normally open contact fails so that's why I suggested swapping them. If the motor runs then you need to change them both.
    I'm sure you have found out the issue by now. The way I see it if the trim motor ran the motor down, the trim motor's probably good