Trim wokt work and notor is down. Need some help

Had the boat out today 03 cougar.
    My trim quit at every position. The motor, the pro trim, trim on the shifter and the bow of the boat
    Would think circut breaker or fuse but cant find anything
    And cant find the breakers
    Motor is a 03 merc 225 efi

2. Member
    Luke, a good idea to post this over in the electrical/trolling motor forum. John Jones or Catfan will see it and advise.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

3. Member
    Look at this on the web... Mercury 225 EFI power tilt and trim relay. Thats what it was on my motor.

4. Member
    They are on the right side of the motor towards the bottom... There are youtube that will show you.

Just tried to loosen the screw on the side to manually raise the motor and the damn thing just cracked
    Not sure if I can get it out without breaking that nylon screw in half

6. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Keithdharmon View Post
    Look at this on the web... Mercury 225 EFI power tilt and trim relay. Thats what it was on my motor.
    this. Have had several go out over the many years.

7. Member
    Not likely a relay issue, as usually only one goes bad. Maybe loose connection, bad ground, brush problem. Try tapping the top of the trim motor. If it’s a brush problem, tapping may give temporary contact
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

Tried tapping on the motor. That didnt work. Also tried to loosen the nylon screw on the side to manually raise it. Then the screw cracked right in the groove. So now I'm trying to raise the motor high enough on the jackplate ti be able to at least get the boat home

9. Bobby8
    Are you hearing the solenoid so click when you hit one of the trim switches? If so solenoid a are good. Check connections for corrosion. If good, I would disconnect the wires to the trim motor, then run pos and neg wires directly from a battery to the trim motor. If trim works, change the trim relays.

The relays click yea.
    Put direct power to the trim motor from the plug off the relays and nothing

11. Bobby8
    Sounds like a bad trim motor but run it by the Merc forum as I am not an expert.

Usually the screw cracking is from too small of a screw driver bit, which acts as a wedge and separates the two planes. Thus forcing them apart and cracking to plastic screw in the groove.

The Sky brand relays are located on the side of the engine block, and you an direct power the main wires to test operationoj the motor. We would use a system with amperage protection (breaker) to power it.

There is a series of fuses also under the cowling in the main engine harness, and those are replaceable.

If the trim system is toast a used unit from a blown powerhead will be around somewhere.

that fuse on the stbd. side,which also is the relay cover,is also a system fuse,,standard blade fuse,relays are under that cover
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    Usually the screw cracking is from too small of a screw driver bit, which acts as a wedge and separates the two planes. Thus forcing them apart and cracking to plastic screw in the groove.

The Sky brand relays are located on the side of the engine block, and you an direct power the main wires to test operationoj the motor. We would use a system with amperage protection (breaker) to power it.

There is a series of fuses also under the cowling in the main engine harness, and those are replaceable.

If the trim system is toast a used unit from a blown powerhead will be around somewhere.

Anyone got a picture of where the Fuse is? I never saw one and I looked. must be looking at the wrong spot

15. Member
    Here is a link with pics and some bypass troubleshooting ideas.
    https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating...enoid-bad.html
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrgfm View Post
    that fuse on the stbd. side,which also is the relay cover,is also a system fuse,,standard blade fuse,relays are under that cover
    If the relays are clicking, they are getting power and the fuse is a non issue.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

17. Member
    How upcoming along with the fix on tnt?

I finally got the screw out last night so was able to manually raise the motor up to be able to get to the trim motor. now just awaiting on prices for the trim motor and the screw valve