Need help on Diawa reels

I am switching from Lews to Diawa I am pretty sure and really haven’t studied Diawa reels a lot in the past couple years. I think I want the mid price range reels. I like the smaller reels also they are going on megabass xx rods.
    I have been looking at the Diawa tatula ct and the new tatula 100. I need several of something so can’t get up into the high end stuff. I need a few for finesse fishing to throw lighter baits as well. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Not sure about this t-wing system either.

Tatulas will get the job done nicely. CT's are a bit more compact than the originals. SV (which are also the CT sized) for the finesse stuff or anything you dont want to backlash.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

3. Member
    A few weeks ago I went to buy a lews reel I think it is called the orange crush. The Diawa rep was there and he talked me into buying a Tatula SV103. The tatula is everything the rep said it was and more. I need to get about 10 more to replace some of my low end Lews reels.
    John the Garage Doorman

4. Member
    Let's get the TWS jitters out of the way. It is an awesome innovation that works and works well. I have 5 TWS high end daiwas several non TWS high end MB and Daiwas. TWS works, period.
    Now that is cleared up.

90% of my reels have been bought from Japan. I use many different suppliers. One supplier in particular that was just going through, looks to have every option you could possibly want.
    SS SV 105 8.1 purple SV spool (non TWS) $172 (3 in stock)-These can be used in a broad range of applications down to 6 grams.
    Zillion TWS (non SV) $189- This is a work horse
    Tatula HLC TW (purple again) $200-Everyone should have at least 1 HLC, simply launches 12 gram+ lures
    Alphas Air 7.2 $225- You mentioned finesse, this will handle 3+ gram lures well and will launch 5-7 gram lures without fear of backlash. Suitable ML rod of course
    And if your stuck on white bread:
    Tatula 100 TW-$123$
    My last order was 2 reels and I paid $24 in shipping
    If I'm not mistaken the XX line has the purplish thread wraps (I've got a XX seven eleven holding my Zillion HLC 1514). Get (3) 105's, a Tat HLC and you are good to go, all purple. You also can put an even more finesse oriented spool into the 105 to cover lower than 7 grams if needed.

PM me if you want the link

5. Member
    You can’t go wrong with the Tatula CT/SV. They make up the majority of my arsenal
    2019 Phoenix 920 ProXP
    Mercury 250 4S ProXS

CTs are NOT a finesse reel. They are simply a smaller frame.

7. Member
    Dont be fooled by the no backlash hype of sv reels they will still backlash just like any other.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QUAKEnSHAKE View Post
    Dont be fooled by the no backlash hype of sv reels they will still backlash just like any other.
    True. Just push the release and let a lure drop straight down (with no thumb on the spool) on a reel that is set up properly. However, they are harder to backlash than many reels on regular casts. Especially if you have any kind of experience with casting reels. And if you don't try to run them with a zero brake setting. I am something of a professional at backlashing a reel. The SV is not the only "backlash free" reel I can backlash.

The Tatula SV TW got high marks in the TT reviews.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=938078
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

10. Member

Tatula CT

Start checking EBay, they should have a 15-20% off sale coming up soon. Check the "buy it now" block , there's one seller I've bought several Tatula CT's from for around $77 after the sale price is figured in.

Theyre great reels, you'll be hard pressed to find a better reel anywhere close to that price.

Quote Originally Posted by QUAKEnSHAKE View Post
    True, but you have to act real stupid to do it.

I'm learning how to skip with the SV, and you might say it is a long slow learning curve. Yes, it will backlash when I do stupid stuff like splash the jig down full speed 3 feet from the boat or cast to a target 30 feet away and smack a tree only 10 feet away. However, even when bad casts happen to good people, the line only ''woofs" up and not those go back home backlashes where half the spool has to be cut out.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    True, but you have to act real stupid to do it.

I'm learning how to skip with the SV, and you might say it is a long slow learning curve. Yes, it will backlash when I do stupid stuff like splash the jig down full speed 3 feet from the boat or cast to a target 30 feet away and smack a tree only 10 feet away. However, even when bad casts happen to good people, the line only ''woofs" up and not those go back home backlashes where half the spool has to be cut out.
    Im just glad to hear im not the only one that does that crap. The ones that nosedive right next to the boat are the worst and make ya feel like a moron while checking over your shoulder hoping nobody saw it
    They aint got hands, set the hook

Don't sleep on the Type Rs in the Tatula lineup. The regular Tatula Type R is my favorite *all purpose* reel in that group. I like the bigger frame so it wins over the CT Type R there, and it's just more versatile than the SV, especially for some of the power fishing techniques. The Type R will do everything very well, will admittedly backlash a little easier than the SV, but has a deeper spool meaning it's more suited to longer casts. The Type R overall just feels a little more smooth and tight than the SV to me, and I have 3 of them along with 2 SVs so it's not like a one-off thing. I'm not sure if that's in my head or if there actually are some other differences in quality of bearings or something, or maybe the shallow spool on the SV changes the way it feels.

That said, you can't touch the SV for finesse applications or skipping, and it actually maybe is a little better than the type R for heavy applications that don't require long casts like flipping and punching. The SV does have the smaller CT sized frame as was mentioned.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

14. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I agree with Drew on the plain Tatula Type R. I’ve picked up 3 from the for sale section and they are really close to my favorite reel. I don’t think there is much this reel can’t do. I have flipped & pitched them, straight T-rig, spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, it’s a great frog reel and it can throw a lipless crank a mile.

I know this reel isnt isn’t in their newest line up but you can pick them up in the for sale forum here like I did...I averaged $115/reel on the 3 I have and I will probably get one more. It’s a great reel for the money.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV