360 with which unit to start

I have 3 hds gen 2 units on my boat. Two at the console and one up front. What kind of helix, or other 9 inch unit would I need to just run 360 on the bow. What would be the least expensive way. Maybe not the helix? Thanks

Any Helix Ethernet capable unit will run the 360--a sonar model, Down Imaging model, or Side Imaging model. The Sonar model is has the lowest cost.

The Helix series is the only Humminbird with a 9" display and there are all three versions in a discontinued first generation, and the current G2N generation.

The only other current model that will run the 360 is the SOLIX in both of its version---SI and Sonar. But there is no 9" model, just 10, 12, and 15.

There are about 2 dozen more than 3 year discontinued Ethernet capable models will support the 360 also if you want pre-owned. They would have number names like 1199ci HD SI Combo.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Thanks for your time

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Any Helix Ethernet capable unit will run the 360--a sonar model, Down Imaging model, or Side Imaging model. The Sonar model is has the lowest cost.

The Helix series is the only Humminbird with a 9" display and there are all three versions in a discontinued first generation, and the current G2N generation.

The only other current model that will run the 360 is the SOLIX in both of its version---SI and Sonar. But there is no 9" model, just 10, 12, and 15.

There are about 2 dozen more than 3 year discontinued Ethernet capable models will support the 360 also if you want pre-owned. They would have number names like 1199ci HD SI Combo.
    Wayne, thank you so much for your wealth of information - it's priceless. I walk into stores like BPS or Cabela's and the staff there really know nothing about details like this. I know the OP was talking about using a 360 stand alone in it's simplest fashion. How about taking that up a notch?

In another thread we were talking about using ACL, mapping details on the big motor, and then hopping up onto the TM and viewing your ACL map and using 360 to actualy pin point those features. Is there a minimum age, model or version that you'll need to have, OR that you recommend we look for to do this effectively? Considering used older units because I can't spring for a pair of Solix 10's and a 360 in one shot, well, it's hard to stomach anyways, but maybe a pair of Helix 9's now, one bow and one on the console, then maybe after taxes buy one S12 for the bow and move the two 9's on the console? I like the joystick, faster menu access with the cross touch interface of the Solix, and it seems they may show detail a little better? Should I just save and keep everything all Solix units if I want best use of the 360? Benefits? Drawbacks?

Quote Originally Posted by Fishfreq View Post
    Wayne, thank you so much for your wealth of information - it's priceless. I walk into stores like BPS or Cabela's and the staff there really know nothing about details like this.

In another thread we were talking about using ACL, mapping details on the big motor, and then hopping up onto the TM and viewing your ACL map and using 360 to actualy pin point those features. Is there a minimum age, model or version that you'll need to have, OR that you recommend we look for to do this effectively? I can't spring for a pair of Solix 10's and a 360 in one shot, well, it's hard to stomach anyways, but maybe a pair of Helix 9's now, one bow and one on the console, then maybe after taxes buy one S12 for the bow and move the two 9's on the console? I like the joystick, faster menu access with the cross touch interface of the Solix, and it seems they may show detail a little better? Should I just save and keep everything all Solix units? Benefits? Drawbacks?
    Only ONIX, SOLIX, and Helix has Auto Chart Live. The "oldest" would be ONIX, next oldest would be the first generation Helix 9 or larger.

There is no mapping with the big motor and going to the bow to view the Auto Chart Live created maps since is it not shared. No Helix will share any mapping of any kind.

A SOLIX will share mapping that is not Auto Chart Live.

The only thing that can be shared between SOLIX and Helix is waypoints.

Fit all of that in your potential scenario.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Only ONIX, SOLIX, and Helix has Auto Chart Live. The "oldest" would be ONIX, next oldest would be the first generation Helix 9 or larger.

There is no mapping with the big motor and going to the bow to view the Auto Chart Live created maps since is it not shared. No Helix will share any mapping of any kind.

A SOLIX will share mapping that is not Auto Chart Live.

The only thing that can be shared between SOLIX and Helix is waypoints.

Fit all of that in your potential scenario.
    Oh, wow, so my bubble is burst, you can't share ACL maps at all? Alright, so what can you do? Can you make an ACL map on the big motor, drop a few waypoints, go up to the tm and approach those waypoints and try to find it live with the 360?

Quote Originally Posted by Fishfreq View Post
    Oh, wow, so my bubble is burst, you can't share ACL maps at all? Alright, so what can you do? Can you make an ACL map on the big motor, drop a few waypoints, go up to the tm and approach those waypoints and try to find it live with the 360?
    You can copy Auto Chart Live files if you want the same data in both units on two Zero Line Cards.

Waypoints are shared and if you turn on 360 Navigation, the waypoints will be display on the 360 view.

This has several waypoints for pine trees laying on the bottom:

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

OR you can have a 360/Chart view and have the waypoints on the Chart or both.

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

9. Member
    Ah, ok so you'd have to whip out the laptop, copy and replace the front ZLC? Thanks for your pic - that's fairly easy to recognize the trees. Looks like it'd be no prob to approach from two boat lengths away and know exactly the direction you need to cast to drag your bait across the target...

Can this all be done with the built in gps antennae or do you need that special external one that orients with the direction of the actual boat?