Repower from 2001 VMAX to new SHO

I'm probably buying a new 200 SHO for my 2002 zx200 (2001 0X-66 is gone). I have original analog gauges, key switch, 6x0 shifter, etc. I know the shift and throttle cables are the same. I think the round 10 pin connector is the same (correct?). I also have a connector for trim sender to gauge and a connector for low oil light on dash. Does anyone know if this is a simple motor swap or am I going to need to change anything. Thanks

2. Member
    I don't know about your question but my question is, what is the cost of the new 200 SHO?

3. Member
    I'm in Canada. Up here it's $23000 Cdn (about $17000 u.s dollars). Low Cdn dollar sucks...

4. Member
    I could repower a new merc 4 stroke for several thousand less

5. Member
    I can also buy a new, dealer demo (8 hrs) Evinrude G1 225hp including all rigging, SS prop, 7 years warranty... for $17k Cdn. Problem is this dealer is not close to me and there is no close service in case I have warranty problems. The Yamaha dealer is only a mile away. No Mercury dealers near me any more. The last one switched to Yamaha.

6. Member
    Have you considered getting a new powerhead from Hydro Tec? It would probably be a lot cheaper and have all the power you would ever need.

7. Member
    I sold my old motor

8. Member
    I’d go with the SHO the new Merc’s Are not proven yet and I’d never buy an Evinrude seen to many issues
    2017 Skeeter ZX225
    12” Bobs Action Jack
    Dual Powers Poles

9. Member
    This thread can be deleted now...thanks

10. Member
    So how about an update for us? How hard was it? What did you have to change? What have the results been like?

remember, these posts always come up on google/forum searches and it’s nice to know the outcomes.

11. Member
    Sorry....I just bought a new 200 SHO....but don't have it yet. As far as I can tell, I might need a new "Tach-Multifuntion gauge" and it's 4-pin wire harness in order to get the oil pressure, overheat, hours and trim with this new motor. But when I get it I will see...maybe I can just change the connector and switch a couple wires to still use my existing analog tach, trim gauge and low oil and overheat lights. Anyway I won't take any chances on not getting the warnings...I'll do it right and let you know the outcome. FYI the river's frozen over here now so I'll be skating on it, not fishing for a while...