Melted Stator wire sheilds ?

Hey guys, I noticed on my 2002 Mercury 75 hp 2 stroke that the yellow stator wires have melted the connecting shields where they connect from the stator, Everything works fine and charges as it should. What could cause this ?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2003 Lowe Stinger 170W - 2002 Mercury 75 HP ELPTO - Garmin Echomap 73sv - Lowrance Hook 2 - Minn kota Ultrex 80lb

2. Joe4d
    poor / loose/ dirty connection, ( high resistance) and or low voltage / dead cell in battery. Ohms law. Resistance up or Volt down causes Amps up... Amps up equals more heat in the conductors.

3. Member
    Using a deep cycle battery will cause that very quick as well.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good suggestions above- can almost always be tied to the battery or the battery cable connections.

Good rule of thumb: Address the above problem, replace the REGULATOR and the CONNECTORS (both are very likely compromised).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor