Thread: Vacuum sealer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Vacuum sealer

In other threads I have gotten many recommendations to use a vacuum sealer for leftovers.

Any recommendations on what features are important? There is a wide price range on them. I am in no way going to be using it on a commercial basis, but I don't want to buy junk.
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

2. Member
    V2460 Foodsaver....we have had ours for so long I have forgot when we bought it!....not even sure if the model is still available...but we think the brand is quite nice!

3. Member
    I have several of them ive picked up from yard sales / flea markets. Foodsaver does seem to be better quality.

So many people buy them and never realize how handy they can be so they end up being sold. I would check Ebay but then again I'm cheap.

Not to derail the thread, but what's the difference between "manual" and "automatic"? I'm in the beginning stages of of looking at them.
    Blue lives matter

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinK9cop View Post
    Not to derail the thread, but what's the difference between "manual" and "automatic"? I'm in the beginning stages of of looking at them.
    Not derailing at all. I didn't even get far enough along to know there was manual or automatic. I would like to know also.
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

6. Member
    I'm not sure...with mine I put what I want in a bag...insert the bag with the end I want to seal into the machine and close it and hit the button and it works its magic. We love to put our leftover brisket in it while the brisket is still warm along with its juices...then freeze it...then to simply put it in a pot of boiling water to have our next meal some day...it tastes just like the day it came of the grill.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by edw View Post
    I'm not sure...with mine I put what I want in a bag...insert the bag with the end I want to seal into the machine and close it and hit the button and it works its magic. We love to put our leftover brisket in it while the brisket is still warm along with its juices...then freeze it...then to simply put it in a pot of boiling water to have our next meal some day...it tastes just like the day it came of the grill.
    There are 3 different styles ive ran into

1. You open up the clam shell and insert the bag then close the clam down until it trips the unit to start the vacuum process and auto seal. I dont like this because if you want to only seal the end of a bag you have to allow it to go through the vac process.

2. This type you take the bag and insert into the opening. These are not a clam shell style and take up less room on the counter. Once you insert the bag it will auto trip the machine to press down the seal bar and begin the vac process. Once that is complete it will auto start the sealing process. Basically you insert the bag and it does the rest. It does have an option that once you insert the bag if you want to skip the vac process you can.

3. This is also a clam shell style but you close the clam on the bag until it clicks shut. You then select either the var or seal option. I kinda prefer the more manual option but it does take up more room. Think large George Forman size grill. Also would probably be a little less to go bad.

If you want to leave it out the totally auto option is probably best. If you want to leave it out I would probably go with the larger #3 option.

I've been using this one for longer than I can remember. I seal the bottom, load it up, and then vac seal. Give it an extra seal above that just for grins. One thing I do with moist foods is take a paper towel and fold it into a long thin strip. After putting the food in, the strip goes inside across the bag end. When I hit the vacuum any moisture gets absorbed by the paper and I get a perfect seal every time.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fr8dog View Post
    I've been using this one for longer than I can remember. I seal the bottom, load it up, and then vac seal. Give it an extra seal above that just for grins. One thing I do with moist foods is take a paper towel and fold it into a long thin strip. After putting the food in, the strip goes inside across the bag end. When I hit the vacuum any moisture gets absorbed by the paper and I get a perfect seal every time.

Do you seal through the paper towel. I wouldnt have thought it would have worked.

No, The towel is just below where the seam will be. It catches any moisture trying to sneak out and the seal is good every time.

11. Banned
    I have an old Sears unit from the 80's. You have to push a button for vac and then a button for seal.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fr8dog View Post
    No, The towel is just below where the seam will be. It catches any moisture trying to sneak out and the seal is good every time.
    Ahhhhh ok.... illl give that a try.

This one is the best we have owned. No problems at all and works with cheaper bags just as good.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Crappie fish fry. It don't taste any better.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat55 View Post
    This one is the best we have owned. No problems at all and works with cheaper bags just as good.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Thats the one I have... well the one I keep on the counter.

The only thing I dont like about it is that once you insert the bag it auto starts the vac process. Yes you can reach up and hit seal but IMO a better design would be to clamp down and have the user select vac or seal. I guess if you use ppre-made bags its a perfect design. But if you use rolls where you need to seal an end prior its not ideal.

But im being very nit picky... it works very well and saves a lot of space over the large clam shell style. Also can store a roll of bag material inside.

15. Member
    Just a thought, years ago I just went through the 2 vacuum systems using the textured bags where the machine sucks the air out of the bag. This is fine however it will suck liquid out and the bags are expensive. Today I have a commercial chamber vacuum system, a VP215, it basically sucks the air out of a chamber that the bag is in then seals the bag while under vacuum. You can literally vacuum pack water if you want. Also the bags are about $0.10 each and they come in a wide variety of sizes and styles. It is significantly better than the textured bag system but admittedly more expensive. I vacuum pack almost everything. Here is a link on their cheaper entry level model: https://www.webstaurantstore.com/ary...VMASVP112.html Definitely and upgrade from the Foodsaver type machines and bags.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidAnderson View Post
    Just a thought, years ago I just went through the 2 vacuum systems using the textured bags where the machine sucks the air out of the bag. This is fine however it will suck liquid out and the bags are expensive. Today I have a commercial chamber vacuum system, a VP215, it basically sucks the air out of a chamber that the bag is in then seals the bag while under vacuum. You can literally vacuum pack water if you want. Also the bags are about $0.10 each and they come in a wide variety of sizes and styles. It is significantly better than the textured bag system but admittedly more expensive. I vacuum pack almost everything. Here is a link on their cheaper entry level model: https://www.webstaurantstore.com/ary...VMASVP112.html Definitely and upgrade from the Foodsaver type machines and bags.
    I was curious about those as I saw someone using them on a youtube video. But ouch at 600 bucks I can vac a lot of stuff with the expensive bags lol.

Might start searching FleaBay and see if I can pick a unit up used though.

17. Member
    I've been using a Foodsaver Big Game for quite a while now. So far it's gone thru and sealed up 1 elk, 2 javelina, 50+ striped bass, quite a few ducks/quail/dove, countless numbers of store bought goods such as raw chicken, pork, salmon. Not to mention the wife and I sous vide 3 times a week. It's great and I'd definitely recommend it. Prior to the Big Game purchase, I bought the Foodsaver from Costco and had to return it. Wouldn't seal right. However, the Big Game can seal 200+ pounds of elk in one sitting with zero issues.

18. Member
    Ran across this when randomly searching.... Seems more industrial than say a food saver but not the price of those industrial deals.

https://www.meatprocessingproducts.c...oaAg2zEALw_wcB

Scored this a few days ago for 95 bucks delivered looks like they raised the price up. To be here Tuesday. Might want to watch it they may drop it again.

https://www.foodsaver.com/vacuum-sea...&sz=18&start=7

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick H View Post
    Scored this a few days ago for 95 bucks delivered looks like they raised the price up. To be here Tuesday. Might want to watch it they may drop it again.

https://www.foodsaver.com/vacuum-sea...&sz=18&start=7
    Same I have on my counter... good unit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast