Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar

Clear VS muddy water

Any thoughts or input?

I don’t know. I’ve caught a lot of fish in clear water on the chartreuse baits. I do agree for bigger baits in muddy water.
    2021 Phoenix 21PHX

3. Member
    Chartreuse is one of the main color producers here. I also agree with bigger baits in muddy water and late in the year or early spring before the new shad hatches.

4. T Dub
    There are times when I’ll throw chartreuse/bright colors in clear water and natural colors in dirty water just because it seems like that’s what they’re biting, but honestly when I catch most of my crappie in the spring they are biting anything that comes by. A friend told me of a day a couple years ago fishing in chocolate milk water where they couldn’t get a bite on anything other than clear grubs w/ glitter - said they wouldn’t touch a chartreuse. (But you know how fishing stories go)

5. Member
    My mind and logic tells me that i could catch crappie on two colors. One all black and one all white in two or three different styles. My confidence tells me i need every color under the sun and every style made!!

6. Member
    Totally agree with the video. I fish really clear water most of the time and I do my best on colors like TN Shad, blue/silver. When it gets a little dirty after a rain, algae bloom, excessive boat traffic my go to color is Bubble Gum. I'm not a color guy per se but I saw a time in the recent past where the fish would wear out TN Shad and would barely touch blue/silver. Some days it really does matter and other days it doesn't seem to matter near as much but natural shad looking colors will get you bit more in clearer water as a general rule, I'm confident about that. That's not to say I won't have Bubble Gum tied on just about every trip. I also find if I pull up to a spot and catch several then they start slowing down I can usually pick up a second color and get bit a time or two more on it before I leave and for me that second color is usually Bubble Gum. It just seems to make a few more consider biting that wouldn't otherwise do so. Just my two pennies.

7. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    I do agree with the video mostly as well but I have caught fish on Bobby Garland Monkey milk on every lake within 100 miles of me from super dirty water to clear.