Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Testing - Promax with a flare ring

Craig is sending his 28 Promax with a flare ring to me to try (thank you). I'm looking forward to this test. I'm a huge fan of the Promax props. I will be comparing a Stock 28 with 8 PVS holes vs a Stock 28 with 8 PVS holes and a flair ring.

My Stock 28 Promax is running 97.1. Gets on plane (5-15) in 2.7 seconds and will pull a 5-85 in 17.5 seconds and 1225'. It goes 5-95 in 26.5 seconds in just less than 1/2 mile. In all my testing this prop shows up as a real runner. I use it as my tournament prop.

Stay tuned all you Promax fans!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by River Rocket; 10-19-2018 at 06:20 PM.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

2. Member
    That's a different flair ring than the one I had.. Looks interesting.
    Allison XB21 Prosport Mercury Racing 250XS with a 1.75 Sporty

3. Member
    Interested in the results

4. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    yes, this prop has a much larger flare ring than what has normally been welded on to other Promax props. I asked geoff to test the prop for an evaluation on what he actually "feels" at speed. It was a brand new stock prop with original 4 PVS holes and I sent it away for an additional 4 more as it needed more venting for hole shot. I had previously tested 2 other 28P Promax props of which one had a welded flare ring and another with a pressed in ring both having only 4 PVS holes.

I was not impressed with the pressed in ring but did like the welded on ring prop. Both had a pretty good hole shot with the typical bow rise and over rev as the bow broke over. But this one had a poor hole shot as though it were a much larger pitch taking forever to get on plane but once it did it took off running more like a 28. Soooo...after bringing this up to someone decided to let him add another set of PVS holes and while at it figured that I'd have him weld on a flare ring like other Promax props.

This one took off on hole shot with no over rev, very little bow rise and felt more like a pitch or 2 less than a 28. No other work has been done to it. The only thing I'm not sure about on this one is the larger than normal flare ring (and how it feels at speed) than other Promax props that I have run in the past. It's more like the size of an XOB.

Curious what Geoff thinks of it. I know what I want to do to it but I'll wait and see
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

Cant wait.. That is also different than the one I have..
    Who did the mod on that one ?

6. Member
    Looks similar to a hydromotive flare ring. Hopefully it isn't long enough to create too much stern lift.
    2024 Xpress X21 / Yamaha 250 SHO
    2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite / 2022 Mercury 300R (Sold)

7. Member

Arrives tomorrow. It is going to be windy. See how it goes.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NOTGSXR View Post

This is what I had.
    is that one by Robbie?
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    is that one by Robbie?
    Yessir. I believe Lee and Robbie.

11. Member
    Who is Lee and Robbie? If I could get a Promax that doesn't have as much bow rise and blowout getting on plane I'd be happier than a senior on prom night.
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshfly View Post
    Who is Lee and Robbie? If I could get a Promax that doesn't have as much bow rise and blowout getting on plane I'd be happier than a senior on prom night.
    Lee Sanderson of Sanderson Marine... also known as Props4u2 on here and Robbie Patterson from propeller Dynamics.

https://www.sandersonmarine.com

Propeller Dynamics

13131 Parkers Battery Road, Chester, VA 23836
    (804) 706-1847

https://g.co/kgs/scv6qm

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshfly View Post

Very little bow rise rise and no blowout on hole shot on mine
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

14. Member
    Very little bow rise rise and no blowout on hole shot on mine
    Might have to make the 3 hour trip to Leighton PA one day for prop testing lol

15. Member
    3 hour trip why haven’t you made one already???

Unfortunately the prop didn't show up today. Monday will be the day now.

It is unfortunate because the wind went from 20, gusting to 30, to nothing in an hour and it turned out to be a solid running day again. I took my 28 promax (no flair) out to double check my previous numbers and verify the prop was consistent and it ran 98.4. That is 1.3mph faster than the last week, which was also the fastest the boat has ran with a 28 Promax. I just love this prop.

The boat got on plane in 2.5 seconds
    (5-15) and went 16.6 seconds for the 5-85 test in 1154'. Even more impressive the prop went 23.8 seconds in the 5-95 pass in 2112'. That's also another personal best for the 28 Promax. It is going to be hard for the newcomer.

In the video you can see the the depth finder working the entire time. The boat is running pretty flat. I noticed this the other day when testing the 30 Promax. It was flat right up to 100. I really thought the 30 Promax was going to blow right past 100, but it hit a wall right at it and that was that. Both the 30 and 28 accelerate and pull all the way so I'm not going to complain or change a thing. In the second part of the video I do another 5-85 pass. It was a solid run, but I over trimmed and it died out at 96. I had to pull it in and you can see the speed start to build right before I got out. It was the quickest 5-95 run of the outing by a little bit, so I went with the numbers.

If you watch in 1080P you should be able to see the speed on the GPS units. I had hoped to do a bunch of data overlay, but my setup didn't work.

Last edited by River Rocket; 10-21-2018 at 12:08 AM.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

Love it

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NOTGSXR View Post
    Might have to make the 3 hour trip to Leighton PA one day for prop testing lol

haha....you would be sorely disappointed as there are no lakes around here with enough water to thoroughly test a prop and that doesn't have a 45 MPH speed limit. Nearest lake to me is about an hour and a half away.
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

19. Member
    haha....you would be sorely disappointed as there are no lakes around here with enough water to thoroughly test a prop and that doesn't have a 45 MPH speed limit. Nearest lake to me is about an hour and a half away.
    Closer to CT? Lakes by me 45mph too... like you... I always abide by the rules!

I got a chance to run the 28 Promax with a flare. It was raining so I didn't spend a ton of time with it and didn't go back to back with my 28 Promax. This comparison is on separate days. I will run them back to back at some point soon. I don't expect the results to be much different. The flare wheel just ran out of juice on the top end much sooner than my stock promax.

It has been a long time since I ran a prop with a flare, so it was good to get a chance again to remember how they run different. Especially when compared to the exact same blade profile without a flare. I had no handling issues with the prop at all. The flare did smooth out the Promax holeshot. It didn't negatively impact it or give it a boost, it just didn't flash and hit. On the data logger I could find no difference between the two under 15mph. Both props have 8 PVS holes.

First impressions were too much stern lift. I run a static jackplate that works fine for all the rest of my props. I could see the stern lift in two ways.

The first is that my water pressure was super low at my normal trim level. At 91 I had to get out several times because I looked and it was at 10psi. Even after I figured out what trim level the prop liked I couldn't get stable pressure. Giving it more trim did fix my water pressure, but it was very intermittent.

The second item was it needed a ton of trim. Every prop I own right now runs at the exact same trim number. Any more and they loose speed. This prop is the first that I have had to trim so much in a long time. I normally run at or just below neutral trim for my best numbers (7.9-8.1). This prop didn't get the nose up until 8.7. That is a lot of trim for my boat. I tried giving it more and that seemed to be the spot. I started data logging pitch and roll of my boat today so I don't have a lot of data yet, but the other prop I ran today ran 9-10 degrees above level for its best numbers. This prop at my normal trim number ran 5-6 degrees. My boat at idle is 5-6 degrees. When I gave it more my best numbers also came at 9-10 degrees. So it was neat to see a correlation of speed to a boat pitch value.

Below in Blue is the stock 28 Promax. Red is the 28 Promax with a flare.

5-30 Stock 5.49 sec Flare 5.49 sec
    5-60 Stock 10.53 sec Flare 11.59 sec
    5-85 Stock 17.07 sec (1176') Flare 19.72 sec (1434')
    5-90 Stock 19.72 sec (1518') Flare 24.43 sec (2040)
    5-95 Stock 21.84 sec (2184') Flare Not a chance.........

Attached Images Attached Images
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast