Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Should've stayed home

Got on the water first thing this morning, headed to my first spot, and went to raise my Atlas jackplate, it stopped at 7 and would not go any further. It would come down, but not back up. Dang! Fished all day, caught quite a few, nothing bragging size though. Get home, try to back into the driveway, trailer brakes locked up! No backup lights on the trailer. Had go down the hill, turn around and back in the other way. Get all my stuff out of truck, then realize, lost my best dang cap! Sheesh! Any suggestions on the jackplate, and the trailer?
    Last edited by Tone357; 10-19-2018 at 04:37 PM.
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

You have those days, but you knew you would eventually. At our last club tx on Lanier, my tilt would go up but not down, finally got to work then about 8 am a steering cable on my MG Tour decided to break. We left about 11 am after looking for schooling spots, but the never came out bright for them to surface but a few times.

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone357 View Post
    Got on the water first thing this morning, headed to my first spot, and went to raise my Atlas jackplate, it stopped at 7 and would not go any further. It would come down, but not back up. Dang! Fished all day, caught quite a few, nothing bragging size though. Get home, try to back into the driveway, trailer brakes locked up! No backup lights on the trailer. Had go down the hill, turn around and back in the other way. Get all my stuff out of truck, then realize, lost my best dang cap! Sheesh! Any suggestions on the backplate, and the trailer?
    I thing the trailer issue is a lack of 12v power, probably a loose connection at the plug. Trailer brakes lock up automatically in reverse w/o 12v power, and that why the lights aren't working either my guess.

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    I can't offer any advice on the Jack Plate or the Trailer Brakes as I'm experiencing severe sympathy pains over the loss of that cap losing one that has a lot of "Fish Catching Mojo" isn't something to laugh about and buying a similar looking one just ain't the same as it takes a long time to build up that Mojo then see it all disappear in an instant is a serious loss

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
    I can't offer any advice on the Jack Plate or the Trailer Brakes as I'm experiencing severe sympathy pains over the loss of that cap losing one that has a lot of "Fish Catching Mojo" isn't something to laugh about and buying a similar looking one just ain't the same
    Yamaha 250 SHO

Check your ground on the backup issue with trailer.
    Kerry Copeland
    2015 Skeeter ZX250/250 SHO
    Decatur, Alabama

7. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
    I can't offer any advice on the Jack Plate or the Trailer Brakes as I'm experiencing severe sympathy pains over the loss of that cap losing one that has a lot of "Fish Catching Mojo" isn't something to laugh about and buying a similar looking one just ain't the same as it takes a long time to build up that Mojo then see it all disappear in an instant is a serious loss
    Agree 100 percent

Dale Sinclair original

8. Member
    Check the fuse in your truck for back up lights, or if you have a trailer section in the fuse box check those. You need 12 volts on the blue wire coming from the 7 pin plug TO THE TRAILER.

I just went through the trailer brakes locking up while backing situation. Mine was a blown TOW BK/UP fuse in the truck. Did it again so I inspected further. Blue cable going to reverse solenoid had been damaged by swing tongue.

10. Member
    True about the lost cap with serious mojo. That always hurts more than anything!!!

11. Member
    For the jackplate it is the little black box that has a green and blue and red wire going into it. I think it’s a relay. Have changed it 3 times in my buddies boat. If you need it to go up or down bypass the relay to get you by

12. Member
    Got the culprit with the trailer. It is the fuse in the truck. Hope that's all it is. There's usually a reason for fuses blowing. Hopefully I'll get more suggestions on what to look at with the jackplate.
    Yamaha 250 SHO

13. Member
    It;s weird/annoying how everything can go wrong at the same time.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jigman51 View Post
    It;s weird/annoying how everything can go wrong at the same time.
    That's true but, the way I look at is, if these are the worst of my problems? Then I'm doing ok!
    Yamaha 250 SHO

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone357 View Post
    Got the culprit with the trailer. It is the fuse in the truck. Hope that's all it is. There's usually a reason for fuses blowing. Hopefully I'll get more suggestions on what to look at with the jackplate.

That's good news but I'm still concerned about the lost cap will you post an update if you find it?

16. Banned
    at least you put the plug in the boat...

Quote Originally Posted by coachallen View Post
    at least you put the plug in the boat...
    I fished a tournament last weekend with a fellow club member, never fished with him and didn't know him at all. We are lined up and number two to go out and about to take off. Look down and water is coming up through the drain. We went back to the ramp and I went and got the trailer and pulled the boat out and he put the plug in. We went from number two to dead last. I felt bad for the guy, he was embarrassed. I told him to not worry about it and lets just go out and have some fun. I was just glad it was caught there vs. out on the lake.

Cheap insurance .. pretty sure I got this from secure fishing .. only needed it twice in 3 years but it always seems my brakes are locked at the worse possible time.. this is awesome .. stats on the frame so no trying to find it when you need it .. pops in and your good to go

19. Member
    Sorry for your loss of the auburn hat.

20. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    With the jackplate, I’m going to guess you have checked for power in both the up and down positions? With the Atlas Plates I believe the relays go out frequently and once in a while the armature needs to be taken apart and rebuilt but it sounds like a relay or switch problem.

Im more sorry about the hat too, that’s a tough pill to swallow.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast