2014 RT178 trailer lights

Hi guys, I have a question about the lights on these trailers. My lights work but no blinker or brake light. I read some people said to check the ground and that looks solid so I figured I would see how the bulbs looked. There are 2 bulbs in the light fixture one normal light with 2 elements and then another smaller light on the outside edges of the light housing. Mine looked black when I took it out, not sure if this is normal. Big issue is I stuck it in my pocket so I could try and match it with something, but I appear to have lost it. Does anyone know what that does and where I could find another one?

They build a good trailer....but the trailer lights are pretty much a problem. I won't go into why but just take it from me.... Do yourself a favor and go buy some LED replacement fixtures and replace them. You will be much much happier and you will end up replacing them anyway if you keep the boat. By the way....black bulbs are blown. Go get new LEDs.....much safer.

Oh yeah.... Replace the trailer jack too if it has not been replaced. It is about as bad as the lights.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Panama View Post
    They build a good trailer....but the trailer lights are pretty much a problem. I won't go into why but just take it from me.... Do yourself a favor and go buy some LED replacement fixtures and replace them. You will be much much happier and you will end up replacing them anyway if you keep the boat. By the way....black bulbs are blown. Go get new LEDs.....much safer.

Oh yeah.... Replace the trailer jack too if it has not been replaced. It is about as bad as the lights.
    I do plan on replacing them in the near future, (I have the thread with the Etrailer links saved) was looking to see if I could find those replacement bulbs until I get the LED

Quote Originally Posted by srsnow View Post
    I do plan on replacing them in the near future, (I have the thread with the Etrailer links saved) was looking to see if I could find those replacement bulbs until I get the LED
    Take your bulbs to any car parts place like AutoZone. Even WalMart has them I think. If you keep the fixtures that are there now, buy some extra bulbs as you will need them.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

5. Member
    Pull the pin on your swing away tongue and look at the wiring inside the tube. That is where I found the problems with my tail lights, mice had chewed some wires up in that tube.

6. Member
    I had taillight problems from day 1...replaced with LED assembly's and no more problems...kinda strange but totally the norm for these trailers. Not sure why Ranger can't swing the additional couple bucks it would cost them to do this from the factory on 25-30k rigs but what do I know
    2015 Ranger rt188/115 Etec

The new Ranger trailers do have LED lights. I have a 2014 trailer that did not have them and a 2018 that does, so I don’t know when they changed.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

8. Member
    Changed all mine out also to led and it was very easy. My original rear side marker lights had moisture in them them from the first launch until I changed them out.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Panama View Post

The light swap with LED's is the first thing I did and putting a better jack on was close behind it!
    2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
    2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO SS Prop
    Lowrance Elite 7Ti in console
    Humminbird Helix 10 SI on BBT Bow Mount

Humminbird Helix 10 SI on a BalZout @ Console
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 - 24V i-Pilot Link
    Transducer Shield Mount
    Custom step in place of center seat
    Trick Step

10. Member
    Any recommendations on a good jack that will fit the stock mounting location? I did notice mine is a little wobbly.