DIY Cable Trolling Motor Pull Handle - $15

Lots of posts on this lately, so I figured it coudn't hurt to share what I've done. This is the second trolling motor I've done this on. Prices are rounded up and links to the items at Menards are embedded in each item's text since this is where I bought everything. Having grown up back East I'm well aware that Menard's isn't nationwide - all of these items should be readily available at your retailer of choice. The handle is really the only "iffy" thing, and I can confirm it's available at Lowe's and on Amazon.

Handle that's remarkably similar to those found in the high priced kits: $9

Dog tie out for the cable (with enough extra for at least 3 more handles): $5

Wire rope clip for making closed loop inside trolling motor mount: $0.40

Wire rope sleeves for creating a stopper that will hide inside the handle (I had to buy a thimble kit as they didn't sell sleeves on their own): $0.60

1. After removing the old pull rope, cut the wire rope (dog tie out) to length and fish it through the trolling motor mount along the same path that your rope took. The toughest part on mine was fishing the (comparatively) stiff wire rope through the place where it needs to loop inside the mount. Some needle nose pliers, bending the end of the wire rope to angle it in the right direction, and a small screw driver to coax the wire along and I had it in 5 minutes or less. A small amount of grease on the mount to allow the rope to slide easily past may help.
    2. Use the cable clip to close the loop inside the mount; technically the vinyl should be stripped off the wire rope at the points where the clip contacts it for maximum strength when using one of these, but we're not putting this thing anywhere near its maximum capacity or hanging a heavy load. I passed on stripping back the vinyl so that it could provide shielding between the wire rope and the metal on my mount.
    3. Strip some vinyl off the handle end of the wire rope and feed it into handle. Strip back some extra if you want to apply two sleeves in the next step. 1/2" should suffice for 1 sleeve, maybe 3/4" for 2 sleeves. Stack them together and see how much you need to strip to be sure. This need not be exact unless you are extremely concerned with the precise length of your pull cord.
    4. Apply the aluminum sleeve from the thimble kit to the end of the wire rope where the vinyl has been stripped back. If you have a swaging tool or a strong grip and high quality linesmen pliers or vise grips, congratulations. If not, I used a brick and a 3 lb hammer to flatten it. Go ahead and crimp (flatten) two sleeves onto the end if you want some insurance; I can confirm that two sleeves stacked together will hide inside the handle.
    5. Pull the handle tight, hiding the end of the cable and the sleeve(s) you just applied inside. You may have to shove the end of the cable/sleeve into the cavity in the bottom of the handle; it has a heavyish rubber flap that stops the end from coming back out during use.
    6. Go fishing feeling satisfied with all the money you've saved and never worry about breaking a trolling motor rope again.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

2. Member
    I use the same handle with a length of para cord. Also keep an extra length of cord on the boat just in case.

3. Member
    Thanks Drew for the tip. Went to Menards yesterday and put the new handle on the trolling motor

I've see that same handle before and thought the same thing. Nice job

5. Banned
    You guys do know you're cheating g-man out of his share of the profits by making your own.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Aries 181 View Post
    You guys do know you're cheating g-man out of his share of the profits by making your own.

Bill
    I bought a couple of his PMA bracelets to compensate. Wouldn't want him in the poor house!

(Honestly did - zip tied one to my steering wheel, one to my fish finder mount. Corny, but it's actually a nice reminder that helped me keep my mind right on several occasions this year).
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    I bought a couple of his PMA bracelets to compensate. Wouldn't want him in the poor house!

(Honestly did - zip tied one to my steering wheel, one to my fish finder mount. Corny, but it's actually a nice reminder that helped me keep my mind right on several occasions this year).
    Do you have any photos of the handle??? I’d like to see it. Thanks!

8. Member
    Lowes has a similar handle for about same cost. That handle and a new para cord and you're in.

I mean I don't need a handle like that, I use the existing one. But cable and cable crimps should cost u less then 3 bucks.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

I tried many different handles, paracored etc etc. Finally bit the bullet and bought the red one and really feel like it was the best and never had any problems again

11. Member
    Thank you for posting this !

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post

My wife bought me a couple off bracelets and the dog tag as a stocking stuffer this past Christmas. The bracelets were too small for my big hands/wrists so I did the same you did and like you said just a good positive reminder for all things in life.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by megastink View Post
    Do you have any photos of the handle??? I’d like to see it. Thanks!

FleetFarm™ has the same handle for $5.99

https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/goo...yABEgLc4_D_BwE

And when/if the neighbors go to ChinaMar.... Walmart™ have them pick You up some Paracord™ and You can actually color-coordinate Your get-up.

14. Member
    Covered clothes line is available by the foot, cheaper than the tie out cable.

15. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    My Ultrex came with a coated wire cable, but the handle was really chintzy... so I replaced it:

https://www.menards.com/main/mcom/ou...scription=true
    Maple syrup... I put that sh*t on everything!
    '09 Stratos 201 XL EVO DC | 250 Pro XS | Razor 4 25P | 6" JP | 10' Talons Gen 2 | 112# Ultrex | Lowrance C12 x 4 | AT | '16 RAM Rebel

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alanhore View Post
    I use the same handle with a length of para cord. Also keep an extra length of cord on the boat just in case.
    I do this exact same thing...I change the cord every spring since it's a lot easier to do voluntarily as opposed to it breaking on the water.