Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar

Need ideas other than the smoker for making pulled pork ASAP

I was going to smoke a pork shoulder for some pulled pork today, found out my smoker will not heat up. So looking for plan B. Guests are coming tomorrow afternoon. Anyone have any ideas for making pulled pork which will be tasty?
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

2. Member
    Slow cooker works well, but no smokey flavor but not bad in a pinch

Do you have a grill? Buy a smoker box and wood CHIPS at Lowes/HD. Keep the box smoking! Use a good thermometer and it will turn out fine. Use one burner and keep the meat on the other side. It will take a bit longer than a smoker.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

4. Member
    That or the old 'tin foil packet' of chips or dust on the grill or heating element and cook slow. In a pinch spritzing with thinned liquid smoke works but be careful as it will become overpowering very quickly.

5. Member
    One of the new pressure / slow cookers if you have one. Add a little liquid smoke but do so sparingly. A little goes a long way.

You can always use the oven in a pinch. Done a few in there and they are not bad
    Ranger R81VS, Mercury 175EFI w/ 25 Tempest

7. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    Slow cooker works good. Put on your rub and let it work.

8. Banned
    I have a big crock pot that does a great job for roasts. I've been known to marinade the shoulder, cook in the crock and then shred the meat. Then I'll get one of those grill thingies that has holes in it used to cook veggies. I'll put the cooked meat on the charcoal grill (with fat) and brown it for about 1/2 hour. It actually puts enough smoke into the meat to be pretty darned good.

I finish off my meat with Rendezvous dry rub. Two BBQ places locally sell a remarkable hot and sour mustard slaw in grocery stores. I serve those slaws on any barbeque sandwich.

Crock pot, BBQ sauce and an onion

I know my post is a few days late but I thought I would offer one alternative for anybody that might be interested. I keep a few jars of the "Angry Peach" sauce available for times when it's raining or where time is limited and I can't smoke a pork butt. This Angry Peach Sauce is just a little spicy, but only a little (Mrs. Bub doesn't like anything too hot). Just call and order a couple, it comes with instructions on how to cook the pork in a roaster on the stove. Every time I make it, people eat themselves into a stooper because it's so dang good!

http://thespiceryofkimmswick.com/sauces-and-jams/

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dually13 View Post
    Slow cooker works well, but no smokey flavor but not bad in a pinch
    add a little bit of liquid smoke and that will be solved. Also Bill, if you have a gas/propane grill get a disposable aluminum tin and put your wood chips in it. Remove one of the grill grates and place directly on the fire. I do this on days when I don't feel like watching over charcoal all day. Works great for me.
    Boatless Bank Trash for now

12. Member
    Weber grill and ring of fire technique works good for butts.

13. Member
    Ian your dampener clogged up or something? Check the vent for build up.

If its a masterbuilt and it quit heating there's a cheap fix possible if you have a bit of patience and a drill. Mine went out several years ago. Drilled the back rivets, removed the plate, found a cooked connector. Quick splice and life has been good ever since. Put it back together with some small screws.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fr8dog View Post
    If its a masterbuilt and it quit heating there's a cheap fix possible if you have a bit of patience and a drill. Mine went out several years ago. Drilled the back rivets, removed the plate, found a cooked connector. Quick splice and life has been good ever since. Put it back together with some small screws.
    True story.. Have fixed a couple that way.

Unfortunately my current MB got water in the electronics and I need a new board. At 100.00 not sure I should buy the board or a new unit. I really need an all weather unit as I'm not putting it in the garage.

16. Scraps
    Crack pot is easy and does a good job.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

17. Member
    Well, It has been several days--What did you do teacher..