Advice Please - GT-52 vs CV-52

I have read a few posts comparing different models, but can anyone give their opinion on the cost vs benefit? Looking to add another 93SV plus to the bow and considering the package or buying unit and transducer separately. Looking at a little more than a $100 difference.
    Thanks in advance!
    2015 Phoenix 819

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Here is my opinion:

I have both xdcrs and the little bit i used the GT52, personally i cant tell a difference.

The physical difference is that the GT has the clear vu (down) element where the CV doesnt and uses the sidevu images to create clear vu image otherwise they are the same ducer..........now i dont fish "deep" water, 20' is deep for me.....this setup is on my TM, so 99% of the time i'm using 2d and clear vu while fishing.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. Member
    I am in a similar situation with you. From what I'm reading, most are the same, short of the UHD. I'm not overly concerned with image clarity, even though I'm coming from Humminbird.
    2015 Phoenix 819

4. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Look on the image page and i have a few threads that have some CV52 screen shots.....unfortunately i dont have any GT 52 to compare....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

5. Member
    I've had both (had a CV52 that was replaced under warranty by a GT52) and can't see any difference.

6. Member
    When you get to about 70 ft depth, maybe 60 depending on water conditions, you'll start seeing a difference. Otherwise it's a matter of optimizing your settings.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

7. BBC SPONSOR
    The Garmin CV transducers do not have a center element but do have two side-facing elements, and therefore, offer better coverage to the sides of the boat. The area directly beneath the boat is covered by the combination of these two elements and will work in waters down to 250 feet deep, in ideal conditions. This technique has been proven in the industry to deliver clear sonar pictures with full coverage under the boat, and the Garmin CV transducers do just that.
    The Garmin GT transducers have a center element which allows for improved depth performance over a CV transducer, but a narrower coverage area that limits the display of returns to the side of the boat.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Chad Phillips
    BassBoatElectronics.com
    Ultra Marine Service - Mercury Outboard sales and service
    1-800-931-9926
    1230 Topside Rd. Louisville, TN 37777
    Showroom & Office Hours M-F 8a-5p

8. Member
    I disagree. Yes the CV20 offers wider side coverage than a GT20 but the GT20 is a down imaging transducer only. The topic was GT52 vs CV52. I modified the graphic to show GT52 vs CV52. This is my representation, not Garmins so it's not meant to be exactly technically accurate. It's just offered to show that the CV52 has two overlapping cones and the GT52 has three cones that also overlap to some degree.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

I have both on my boat. CV at the rear and GT at the front. I can sit at my console and see both clearly. Slightly different set up on each unit. I honestly can’t see a difference in the water I fish.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175. Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,