power drop shot setup

ADMIN PLEASE DELETE
    Last edited by ayang; 03-16-2021 at 09:38 AM.

Really wanting to get my hands on the new VMC Tokyo Rig.

I've done it a little bit with a 3/4 oz drop shot weight on 25 lb test about 6 inches below a 4/0 Superline EWG. It works OK, but the line between the hook and sinker is still too flimsy for it to work as well as I wanted. Not sure if "flimsy" is the right word. I also tried making something like the VMC rig with a longish swivel attached to the 3/4 oz drop shot weight. It was a grass magnet, so I re-did it and put heat shrink over the swivel. It helped, but still not ideal.

Let me know if you find something that works well!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

3. Member
    I have two different approaches to the “Power Dropshot” with two different definitions.

If I am rigging it up looking for a Reaction bite as is often the bite obtained from other forms of “Power Fishing” like Cranking, Spinnerbating, Jigging etc then I will go with a 7’6” - 7’11” H - XH Punching rod and 50 - 65 LB Braid.

However if Power Fishing is defined as using heavy tackle to “power” the fish out of the cover, you can do this while still taking a finesse approach to the presentation. I will go with a 7’2” - 7’6” MH - H Power Casting Rod rigged with 15 - 25 LB Fluoro or Copolymer. I’ve used both and switch back and forth so it’s really whatever your preference is.

In both cases I will tie an Owner Twistlock Hook to the line and vary my drop to the weight from 6” - 18” depending on the situation.

For baits, if I am Punching with Braid, I will use typical compact punch baits like Beavers, Brush Hogs, Craws etc. I’m just looking for quick reaction bites on the fall.

For the more finesse stuff I mostly use larger variations of dropshot style baits that I can Texas rig with like a Fluke, Straight Tail worm, Paddle Tail Swimbait etc. These baits are more suited for shaking on semi slack line.