Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    You leave your truck or car outside and it has a battery so what's so bad about leaving it in the boat

Quote Originally Posted by Jaydbee View Post
    I live in Jersey and kept my boats outside (20+ years) all that time. Wish I had a garage. I keep the batteries in the boat on the charger. I keep unplugged except for a day or 2 each month so charger can get the batteries into maintenance mode. Seems to work for me.
    I'm in PA and do the same thing. I just pull the cranking battery because I have a two bank charger onboard.

Tom

3. Joe4d
    Quote Originally Posted by Meleagris1 View Post
    This chart has some good info from one of the best battery makers out there. They say -92, but either way you are pretty safe in North American with a full charge. If it’s so cold you need to bring your charged boat batteries in you should bring your car battery in also.

https://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/WP_DeepCycleBatteryStorage_0512.pdf
    If its that dang cold I say leave all of them installed and use them to start something to drive SOUTH !,

Quote Originally Posted by 191 champ View Post
    I have often wondered why or how humans inhabited such a place. No offense.
    None taken. Last winter was especially awful...it arrived early with an extremely cold Halloween and it just wouldn't leave with a huge snowstorm the week of tax day, record late ice outs all over the state, crazy warm up that had the fish all confused until summer set in. I was fishing for bedding smallmouth 10 days after a particular lake iced out this past May. We're generally iced out in the Metro area by the end of March. Plus the river fishing options mean you can fish all winter long if you have a place to store your boat and wait for a warm day. Heck, there's a nuclear plant on the upper Mississippi that warms the water to a point that smallmouth will feed all winter long and wade fishing in January can be somewhat comfortable.

That said, I doubt that's much better for most people who hate the cold, and I really didn't understand "cold" until I moved here. The first winter was really rough, then I found something to do during that time. Ice fishing makes me actually look forward to the cold. Thick ice means you can drive your truck to your fishing spot, propane heat and pop-up shelters (or wheel houses if you're fancy) mean you can fish in a hoodie or even t-shirt, and lake maps and electronics make it a ton of fun.

Apologies for derailing the thread. Seems to have run its course anyhow!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

5. Banned
    Leave a boat outside around here and (1) it's going to be stripped of all accessories, or (2) the boat will be stolen.

We have a meth problem, and an overabundance of thieves that are unemployed and homeless.

I usually only pull the hose off wp gauge. Batteries I charge off and on over the winter. I fish until about mid december, so usually only have the boat sitting for 3 months.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

7. Member
    I would put some of that new mice poison out near the boat a few green cubes should get you through the winter. .ive been using it.works good. I used to always take my batteries out,you can use one trickle charger for all your batteries,connect them together with some jumper wires and It’s a good way to make sure everything is good and still intact in the bilge. I used to take my trolling motor off also.

8. Member
    To keep mice away - Look for a product called "fresh cab". Learned this from a farmer. It does have a certain "odor" to it. You'll love it or hate it. I've been using it in an enclosed carpot for 4 years now, fields all around me, no mice. I put a bag at each corner, and one in the middle between my two double doors.
    Another thing I've used successfully is hedgeapples. Put something under them though, they ooze a liquid.
    Too seal the gaps in the corrugated metal, I sprayed liquid foam. Wear disposable gloves though. And plan on using the whole can, or the tube will be clogged up and useless.
    Batteries - as said above, keep them charged, and check the water level once a month. They'll be fine outside.

I have been leaving my boats outside for 16 years now. I get a small bottle of peppermint oil sprinkle it on the carpet, in the lockers etc. basically a little everywhere. I refresh this about once a month. So far no mice. Hope I didn't jinx myself. I leave all 4 batteries in. Plug my charger in about once a month. Leave that plugged in for a day or so. The day I bring it home from the dealer after having them do the winterizing I tilt the motor down. Clear snow after every storm. So far, never an issue.
    First boat was a G3 tin with a Yamaha 50HP 4 stroke.
    Second boat is a Ranger with a Yamaha 225HP 4 stroke.
    Ranger Z-20, Yamaha F225.

10. Banned
    If you leave the batteries in the boat, disconnect them

Quote Originally Posted by slonezp View Post
    If you leave the batteries in the boat, disconnect them
    WHY?

And are you recommending disconnecting them from everything but the charger?
    2014 Ranger RT188
    Mercury Fourstroke

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12