Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

lost my ford ranger due to a wreck ,,suburban or 4 door pickup?

trying to decide if i want a 4 door pickup that can pull a camper too, don't have one yet but don't want to be under gunned if i do,

or get a suburban cause of the extra seating and room in the back for grandkids "stuff", don't do much hauling any more and the ranger only had room for 2 and limited seating in the supercab was only for little kids size ,i'm only 6 miles from work but in the winter they take their sweet time moving snow so 4 wheel drive is important . any tips from you regular size truck guys in welcome, can't go fishing till i get another vehicle..thanks

2. Member
    kinda limited on what to spend as i'm going in for my second total knee replacement on the 19th of november, hopefully around $7,000

3. Banned
    SUVs seem to depreciate faster than trucks, you will get more bang for your buck. Anything with 4 wheel drive is gonna be older and high mileage for 7 grand, good luck.

4. Member
    You would be looking at 150-200000 mile choices around here. I'f your on a budget like that I'd do the Burb. The truck will need some sort of cap or good waterproof cover for the "stuff". They can add a grand to several grand.

5. Banned
    We currently own a 09 Tahoe and a 15 Silverado double cab. If you're only carrying people the Tahoe/Suburban gets the vote,for everything else the Truck. 4x4 of course.

6. Member
    My vote is Tahoe or equivalent

Have always had trucks, moved to a Sequoia to take family.
    It’s really as easy as, Do you need the p/u bed and if so how often?
    Could you rent or barrow a small trailer when needed?
    That’s all it comes down to.
    2000 Ranger 520DVX 225hpdi

8. Member
    I just bought a Nissan Frontier, crew cab, 5' bed, 4wd. I'm loving it.
    Watching craigslist for a shell, they seam to be running $300-600, depending on how much work they need. We have a trailer for hauling whatever is needed.
    If they still made the x-terra, or if the Pathfinder was still a Pathfinder, I'd have gotten on of those .

9. Member
    If you fish and tow a boat, a used Cadillac Escalade pickup truck might be a good choice. If you're going to go, go in style. One about 2006 or newer vintage if you can afford it. I don't see them rusting out in the rear fender wells as bad as my 2007 Silverado did.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by karol View Post
    trying to decide if i want a 4 door pickup that can pull a camper too, don't have one yet but don't want to be under gunned if i do,

or get a suburban cause of the extra seating and room in the back for grandkids "stuff", don't do much hauling any more and the ranger only had room for 2 and limited seating in the supercab was only for little kids size ,i'm only 6 miles from work but in the winter they take their sweet time moving snow so 4 wheel drive is important . any tips from you regular size truck guys in welcome, can't go fishing till i get another vehicle..thanks
    Love my Crew Cab Duramax for pulling any thing, only bad thing my old legs are to short and back to worn out to pull myself up in a truck. I hate to trade because my Duramax only has 46,000 miles but I WANT RIDE IN MY OLDER AGE

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerRodney View Post
    Love my Crew Cab Duramax for pulling any thing, only bad thing my old legs are to short and back to worn out to pull myself up in a truck. I hate to trade because my Duramax only has 46,000 miles but I WANT RIDE IN MY OLDER AGE
    Get it "bagged". With remote control you can put it "in the weeds" and then jack it back up. Only cost you a couple of thou.

12. Member
    I'm having the same problem with my Tahoe.
    When I wasn't looking, someone jacked it up 3". Old age is hell.

13. Member
    Biography: 09/09/1942

I was born at an early age. I was in Georgia at the time to be near my mother who was 9 months pregnant at the time. As I got older I aged. Finally I'm nearly Finished, although they say I'm really Polish

I love this line in ur biography,

I have an ‘05 Suburban. Hasnt given me a lick of trouble and it has 175k on it. The biggest difference between the pickup and the Burb is going to be weight. Burb comes in at about 6200lbs. Its my daily driver so, it eats gasoline like crazy. The pickup will get slightly better mileage due to the weight difference. But I love my Burb
    Ranger R81VS, Mercury 175EFI w/ 25 Tempest

15. Member
    Burb. Have an ‘02 with 180+K and still going strong. Seals are all still good so stuff stays dry. Sold the rear seat set the first month we had it and the back seats rarely come up except if we have passengers. Tow a variety of trailers with it. Would buy another before I would consider a PU.

16. Member
    Get the Burb, that is a easy one.

17. Member
    Chevy Tahoe or GMC Yukon, the shorter version of a Suburban.
    IMO, you'll get much more use from the SUV, most people do.

Sequoia, Suburban or Tahoe.....

19. Member
    '05 Avalanche z71...

20. Member
    I have an 02' Z71 Suburban with 137K miles, it is as loaded as they come in 2002 and is still plenty comfortable. It pulls everything I have asked it to and has room to ride the family. In my opinion, the Suburban is a steal on the used car market and around here trucks are just stupid priced used. Also look at the Ford Expedition with a 5.4 they are super cheap on the used car market, the one I had was a very comfortable ride, and not quite the size of suburban.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast