1989 354v soft spot repair question

Have about a 1 sq ft area near the floor drain cover in the deck. Would like to see how people have repaired and with what and how. Have heard of drilling and injecting, which sounds like something I'd be more comfortable with rather than cutting out a chunk of my floor. Any tips appreciated.

2. Member
    You’ll have to strip the carpet and cut / replace with plywood. Encase it in fiberglass on both sides and seal it in on top with glass to tie into the existing floor. There’s a void under the floor to allow for water drainage so drilling / injection like a transom repair is not an option.
    2006 Ranger Z20 / 225HP Merc Pro XS

3. Member
    What I was reading is a person drills through the top layer of glass but not through the bottom layer. Injects resin or epoxy into the wood sandwiched between the glass layers.

4. Member
    I had a 96 354 and it had soft spots in the front deck, floor (several spots), and bilge area. I had a shop do the front deck and floor, but I did the bilge area. Like Ericm said, I removed the bad piece and replaced with a glass encased piece of plywood. The bilge was super rotten, so I didn't have to do much cutting, could mostly just pry it away with a screwdriver and some other tool. If you do have to cut, I'm not sure of the depth, but would go slowly and start kind of shallow. You can probably remove the drain cover in the floor and bend down and see the stringers under there, as well as the thickness of the floor. That might help you in your decision making of where and how deep to cut. I used the fiberglass resin from big box retail stores to encapsulate the plywood. I also used some glass sheets (same box store), laid them on the plywood, and then painted the resin on top. It was pretty dang bomb-proof.
    I'm boatless..
    SOLD: 2016 Ranger RT188 / Mercury 115 ProXS 4S