Fury 4, thrown blades

2014 250 Pro XS, have thrown a blade on 3 different Firy 4 props in past 18 months. Doesn't appear anything hit. Any idea? Merc 2B087541
    Last edited by bbbill; 10-18-2018 at 07:13 PM.

What's your prop to pad measurement? Also what boat?
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

3. Member
    3" p2p, Ranger 520C, 2 x power pole, 3 x wet cell 31s, 1 agm 31, very heavy load.

I don't see it as anything other than bad luck and some inferior metallurgy.
    Mercury has had spells of bad props over the years.. I have thrown blades on way to many. But on my style rigs it's a lot more common because of the speeds and prop shaft height. I have 2 Bravos right now.

5. Member
    Was going to purchase a Fury4 24p from my prop guy. He asks me if I carry a heavy load, I say yes, he says in all honesty, he can't recommend one for me. He says the blades are slightly thinner and the blade cup geometry is also different which causes more flex/stress on the blades and sooner than later one of more will fail. He told me to stick with the Fury 3blade, but if I insisted, he would sell me a Fury 4......
    Dwight B
    Semper Fi
    2023 Ranger Z520R, Merc 250HP Pro XS,
    Lowrance HDS LIVE 12 Console and Bow Active Target, Dual 8ft Blade Series Power Poles,
    TH-Marine Atlas Jack Plate's 10" Setback

6. Member
    I am hearing the same thing. I know of a few that have thrown a blade on the Fury 4 as well. Seems pretty consistent with issues that were with the Trophy series. Allot of folks are running them a little high which will also promote that.

Trophy-- Bravo- Pro ET....have not thrown a blade on a ProMax (YET)
    Evertime that prop spins the baldes will flex a little .. Metal will only flex X amount of times before it breaks. Lots of variables as to how soon this will happen.. I have noticed a few blades that had not broken yet but had a hairline crack in them. Everyone of those had a small nick in the blade right where the crack started.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Bill: What pitch were these props?

Since they carry a 1-year warranty against Defects and Workmanship, did you present them to a dealer for Warranty Replacement?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    I ordered a fury 4 24 last October and it had a pretty serious manufacturing defect on one leading edge. Took it to my local dealer and he/mercury agreed to swap it out no questions asked. The problem is that it took until February/March of this year to get the replacement. I had followed up with my dealer often during the wait and he ended up telling me that it was a combination of high demand and that they had halted production for a while to address issues with the molds/castings that was causing them to throw ears. My 2018 production 24p has about 35 trouble free hours on it and my rig weighs easy 3500 lbs with 2 people, gear, full tank and wells. Maybe the issues were limited to early production?

10. Member
    Don, they were 25 pitch. I bought them through Rothwell Marine (Good folks by the way), I do have 1 broken one, can I take it to any Mercury dealer?

11. Member
    Yes, with proof of purchase.

Ya thats strange. I’ve been running my Fury 4 blade 25p which was the very first shipment when they came out. I run a ranger 520 vx with a 250 pro xs at 74 mph and 5900 rpm and I’m one of those guys thas always wide open throttle. Its been an incredible prop for me
    2000 520vx Ranger
    250 PRO XS
    SERIAL#2B115788/ 25P Fury 4/ 25P Fury 3 blade

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Bill- provided you have your receipt (as a Retail Consumer) and it was purchased within the last 365 days, DEFECTS would be covered. Any authorized Mercury Dealer can take care of that for you.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

14. Member
    Mercury is aware of the problems with the Fury Four it has something to do with the cooling time with the metal. If you run it high on your boat you will sling a chunk for sure.

I’ve been running a 26 for a while now as my tourney/fishing prop. Have run it as high as 11/2” below but runs best at 2” below to 82MPH with 2 people and gear. No issues at all.

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

16. Member
    The 3's will throw blades as well. This was my 4th year on this prop and it just happened last weekend. Scary thing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2015 Nitro Z-7 175 Pro XS

17. Member
    Well, in theory, two blade props are faster.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay