Just for Champ owners

I just upgraded my console graph and it has sidescan on it.. my question is... where is the best place to mount the transducer on the back of my 202? Just asking cause i was told "only in the middle of boat" and i was also told "just on the portside bottom"... so where with the bottom of the boats design for optimum readings?

2. Member
    Mines attached to a bracket from transducer shield and saver on the jackplate. No new holes in the boat for me!!!
    2000 Champion 203

3. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunbar View Post
    Mines attached to a bracket from transducer shield and saver on the jackplate. No new holes in the boat for me!!!
    Same on my 210 ...

Gotcha... i have installed a sternsaver to cover the original existing holes, but thought about installing it on the lil thin piece of aluminum plate thats right behind my jackplate (i have a gap of about 3/8" between it and the boat transom)... just drill 2 holes and mount the transducer bracket there.... JUST not sure it will be low enough to stay in water even at WOT

5. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Your down and side scan won't work on plane, so unless you are using a Total Scan transducer, no need for it to be in the water at WOT.

So TX Champ... ur sayn that the tripleshot transducer wont work at WOT? What about at speeds around 20mph?
    Would i have to upgrade the transducer just to be able to graph and mark spits at WOT?

7. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    I'm only familiar with Lowrance equip. The TotalScan has imaging and 2D in the same housing, so it has to be mounted so that it will be in the water for 2D at speed. I run seperate 2D and imaging transducers so imaging is mounted on the jack plate. Lowrance imaging works to about 15 mph or so.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kcg202champ View Post
    Gotcha... i have installed a sternsaver to cover the original existing holes, but thought about installing it on the lil thin piece of aluminum plate thats right behind my jackplate (i have a gap of about 3/8" between it and the boat transom)... just drill 2 holes and mount the transducer bracket there.... JUST not sure it will be low enough to stay in water even at WOT
    Lowrance 3D Structure Scan. Originally had the LSS1 mounted here, but have since adapted it to the 3D. Used 3/4" self tapping screws, but 1/2" would be better. It WILL NOT be in the water or operate at WOT.

Last edited by Ed R; 10-23-2018 at 05:18 AM.
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

I will be using Lowrance products (Hook2 tripleshot graph) and to the inquiry of Ed R... thats exactly how i was going to set mine up

Got to go out today for a few hours and try that dude out... i mounted mine just like Ed R (posted above) and YES it worked perfect while fishing AND just trolling at 4-6mph... but once the beast got unleashed (my Mercury) i lost all screen quick.. i guess i could make a mount bracket that would lower the transducer about 3-4 inches and it may work then at WOT... did get to catch a few fishAttachment 342726

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunbar View Post
    Same for me!

12. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    I could be wrong, but it is my understanding that Side Scan will not work at higher speeds no matter where the transducer height is set at.

13. Member
    All correct. The limits of the side and down imaging are the speed. I welded an aluminum bracket that mounted on my jackplate too. No holes in the transom for me either.