wiring two batteries questions

What is the best configuration to have two starting batteries wired together, parallel or series? Would i gain more run time for my accesories? Any other hints would be appreciated. Thanks.

HAS to be wired in PARALLEL !1 When you wire in SERIES, you double the VOLTAGE and the Amps stay the same. In PARALLEL, you double the AMPS and the voltage stays the same. Your motor and accessories are all 12 volt, so adding batteries must be done in PARALLEL !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    HAS to be wired in PARALLEL !1 When you wire in SERIES, you double the VOLTAGE and the Amps stay the same. In PARALLEL, you double the AMPS and the voltage stays the same. Your motor and accessories are all 12 volt, so adding batteries must be done in PARALLEL !!
    Thank you sir. Does it give me more run time on my ACC or not worth the time and expense?

yes will give more run time but it is best if both batteries are the same age same type and Cranking amps otherwise the stronger of the 2 will constantly trying to make up for the weaker one and will make them both wear out faster
    2017 Phoenix 919 Pro-XP 225 Mercury Pro-XS

5. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    D.O.C.

If both batteries are being discharged and charged in parallel, relative size (capacity) is not a real concern......

Even a small battery added in parallel to a larger one will help to increase run total ON time and cranking amps....the smaller battery can NOT become more or less discharged than the larger as the two batteries always share the same exact state of charge voltage.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 10-18-2018 at 04:12 PM.

6. Member
    dp

7. Member
    Thanks guys, one last question. I have a three bank charger, 2 of the banks go to my 2 trolling motor batteries. Can i attach the 3rd bank somehow to charge the 2 new starting batteries or should i look for a new 4 bank charger?

8. Member
    Two batteries in parallel will appear as if one large battery to the charger bank and should charge just fine. If you ever heavily discharge them, it may take a longer time to fully replace the lost charges in both.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou r Pitcher View Post
    D.O.C.

If both batteries are being discharged and charged in parallel, relative size (capacity) is not a real concern......

Even a small battery added in parallel to a larger one will help to increase run total ON time and cranking amps....the smaller battery can NOT become more or less discharged than the larger as the two batteries always share the same exact state of charge voltage.
    So in your opinion it's ok to rig two batteries for starting ?
    The reason I ask is I was going to do that but read on here where some said DON"T

10. Member
    It is one approach to resolve having enough starting amps to crank a big motor and sufficient power to run many boat accessories.

Another approach is to run the boat electronics, lights and accessories off of a separate dedicated house battery that is deep cycle.

My problem is starting this 3.2 ltr in cold weather.

12. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    This is why diesel trucks have 2 in parallel, for cranking power. You don’t need the cranking power, but you do need it for cranking and electronics.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    My problem is starting this 3.2 ltr in cold weather.
    Take a look at your wire size and length. I would be willing to bet the stock wire is marginal at best for these high amp draw engines. High grade fine strand welding cable of the correct size for the run eliminates a lot of issues. Cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

14. Member
    So in your opinion it's ok to rig two batteries for starting ?
    The reason I ask is I was going to do that but read on here where some said DON"T
    Just go + to + and - to -. As previously said, keeping the wiring perfect is a good place to start.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ1 View Post
    Take a look at your wire size and length. I would be willing to bet the stock wire is marginal at best for these high amp draw engines. High grade fine strand welding cable of the correct size for the run eliminates a lot of issues. Cj
    It will soon be winter and I need to do something.
    Think I'll get some good cable and try the big AGM from batteries plus, I believe an X2 is the one I have been hearing about.

16. Member
    It will soon be winter and I need to do something.
    Think I'll get some good cable and try the big AGM from batteries plus, I believe an X2 is the one I have been hearing about.
    There is nothing wrong with a flooded battery (except it can spill and needs levels checked once in awhile) look to Trojan or Deka for a large cranking battery. Both of these company's are manufactures and normally don't allow a repackager to control the quality of the battery. I am actually using a trojan deep cycle as a cranking battery (with their approval) and it has been great. So there is more than meets the eye so to speak when dealing with batteries. I know if I place $5k worth or batteries in a off grid system and have issues, it will be very costly for me. So I have learned a lot about them in the last 20 years! Cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.