First shot at a deer with xbow

was a whiff!!!

big doe broadside at 40 yards. complete miss. guess it was my error. bow still shoots fine after practicing again......
    Derek Chance
    2021 Nitro Z19 Pro 200 Mercury ProXs
    BTS and KVD Line and Lure

2. Member
    Actually a cross bow is very loud especially if you haven’t put any dampeners on the limbs and string. Mostly bet the deer jumped the arrow from the initial slap of the strip. Have seen it happen before.
    Also what are you using for your broad head and did it come with a practice broad head?

I am using mechanicals and no it did not come with a practice head.
    Derek Chance

4. Member
    I have tried many different types of fixed and mechanical. They will all fly at least a little different than an actual field point but at 20 yards the ones they claim that flies like a field point are pretty close that it shouldn’t matter, but once you get out to 40 or longer that small difference becomes huge. It may suck but you may need to burn one of the broad heads and use it as a practice head so you will for sure know. Also may want to try swacker mechanical or rage. They are a little more in price but come with a practice tip and work really well.

have you put any limb and string dampeners on the xbow? Did not specify in about response. If you haven’t they do not cost much at all and are worth every penny

Quote Originally Posted by jc1992 View Post
    Actually a cross bow is very loud especially if you haven’t put any dampeners on the limbs and string. Mostly bet the deer jumped the arrow from the initial slap of the strip. Have seen it happen before.
    Also what are you using for your broad head and did it come with a practice broad head?
    This is so true! I shot a doe last year that was standing broadside and when I found her the arrow had went in at an angle. She must have turned and when the shot went off because I don't have arrows that make right turns.

Quote Originally Posted by jc1992 View Post
    I have tried many different types of fixed and mechanical. They will all fly at least a little different than an actual field point but at 20 yards the ones they claim that flies like a field point are pretty close that it shouldn’t matter, but once you get out to 40 or longer that small difference becomes huge. It may suck but you may need to burn one of the broad heads and use it as a practice head so you will for sure know. Also may want to try swacker mechanical or rage. They are a little more in price but come with a practice tip and work really well.

have you put any limb and string dampeners on the xbow? Did not specify in about response. If you haven’t they do not cost much at all and are worth every penny
    thanks for the help. I can use all I can get. Since the miss I have actually burned and broke blades off of 3 broadheads.....Hopeful It is dialed in. I have heard and looked at bowjax dampeners. Might have to be something to invest in.
    Derek Chance

7. Member
    Grant Woods from Growingdeer.tv, just did a pretty cool study on deer reactions to the sounds of bows. Very interesting video!!!!!

http://www.growingdeer.tv/#/jumping-...unting-success

8. mikesxpress
    I got rid of all my compound bow stuff and started hunting with a Barnett Predator (375 FPS) crossbow many years ago. Upgraded to a Barnett Ghost 410 four years ago. Both have been fed a strict diet of Switchblade 110 gr mechanical broadheads. These were made by Tru-Fire until they were bought up and they had a broadhead practice tip which flys identical to the real broadhead. I bought up enough of them to last me. These are screwed onto Lumen Arrows/bolts. Hawke lit reticle scope.
    No dampeners or other toys. The crossbow accuracy/repeatabilty is achieved with consistency of everything that you use including the strings/cables.
    After killing allot of deer/turkeys here in Virginia and a couple elk with both I make sure everything is exactly the same from bolt weight to waxing the strings/rail. 20 and under hold dead on. 25 and over hold 4-5" lower. They are going to hear the bow go off no matter what you do and most of time they will crouch down a bit.

9. Member
    Excellent advice ��

10. Member
    I hunt with a ten point crossbow. A crossbow is loud no matter what you do. I have no silencers of any kind. I hunt using rage extreme broadheads, always recover every deer I've shot. I hunt land between the lakes in ky side. Deer are very spooky and alert.

Body in North GA (Lake Lanier) - Heart in KS
    I bet the head opened. What BH you using.
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri

Quote Originally Posted by BOW4UM View Post
    I bet the head opened. What BH you using.
    You are correct. after some research I found the BH i was using needed to be double banded for use with a crossbow. Since doing this, it shoots great. Killed a doe at about 30 yards, double lung.
    Derek Chance

Body in North GA (Lake Lanier) - Heart in KS
    Quote Originally Posted by dchance View Post
    You are correct. after some research I found the BH i was using needed to be double banded for use with a crossbow. Since doing this, it shoots great. Killed a doe at about 30 yards, double lung.
    Thats what I fig. With Xbow you have to try the BH as many cant handle the initial explosion and open. Glad you got it straight!!!
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri