Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Basscaster View Post
    My Mint 2003 Tahoe Z71 (115K) just had a rusty brake line last month. I should have replaced them all but will be selling it in a few months.
    Aw man that's messed up. Think about if something happens to the next person. That's a lot of weight to carry.

2. Banned
    It's crazy to hear guys in the rust belt complain about trucks that don't hold up to rust. Meanwhile, guys are talking about brake lines failure. Should tell y'all something.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by g352nv View Post
    Aw man that's messed up. Think about if something happens to the next person. That's a lot of weight to carry.
    Kind of scarey isn't it
    "keep your blood thin,you will live longer"

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wentbroketryingtogopro View Post
    Kind of scarey isn't it
    Yeah I guess everyone is different. I couldn't live with myself knowing that something might happen.

Had two 99 silvarados, , 2003 silvarado, 2007 Sierra, 2014 Silvarado, and now 2017 and 2018 Z71 silvarados. Never had the brakes go out.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

6. Member
    Originally Posted by Basscaster
    My Mint 2003 Tahoe Z71 (115K) just had a rusty brake line last month. I should have replaced them all but will be selling it in a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by g352nv View Post
    If everyone that sold a vehicle changed every rusty brake component it would be ridiculously expensive. You never know when or if a rusty line or fitting will break. It might never break. There's a limit to one's individual responsibility. A used car is usually Caveat Emptor.
    If you want pristine, buy a new truck.

Quote Originally Posted by john n View Post
    I see both the preformed and bend your own kits. Which is best to use when installing yourself - jack stands in the driveway ??

2001 Suburban - no failures yet but they are scary looking where they follow the frame under the firewall.

john
    Unless you have a tubing bender and a lot of time, get the preformed kit. Much easier. Get Stainless if you can.
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2005 Lund Rebel SS 1650 w/25 HP Merc 4-stroke
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

Quote Originally Posted by Screamin_Reel View Post
    Threads like this one sure make me glad that I drive a Toyota!
    Want to see a picture of the stack of frames sitting outside a local Toyota dealer? I drive a Tundra as well, but am hoping it's new enough they fixed that problem before I got mine.
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2005 Lund Rebel SS 1650 w/25 HP Merc 4-stroke
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

When the Chevy Service manager knows the cost and the part numbers without opening the book you know there was a serious issue.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AirForceAngler View Post
    Unless you have a tubing bender and a lot of time, get the preformed kit. Much easier. Get Stainless if you can.
    I took my old line to a hot rod shop. Picked it up the next day for 35.00

Brakes lines on my 2005 Tahoe were just replaced due to leakage. Glad my son spotted it... who knows how bad it could have been.

Mississippi River Pool 13
    Ranger R93 / Merc 200

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by b*******51 View Post
    was it a Tahoe, Suburban, 1500 model GM truck made from 1999-2007 ? If so you and about every other person that owns one of these has been through this (myself included)
    Yup....haha

13. Member
    Was backing my partners boat in at the ramp with his 5 year old Ram could not stop the truck and had to hit the emergency brake. Three lines had blown, scared me enough I think i might have pinched a hole in his seat.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BOATS View Post
    Had two 99 silvarados, , 2003 silvarado, 2007 Sierra, 2014 Silvarado, and now 2017 and 2018 Z71 silvarados. Never had the brakes go out.
    I'm thinking the salted roads up north may be the reason they rust out. Mine were just plain rusted out.

15. Member
    I just check brake lines as normal maintenance at oil change time like brake pads, tire pressure, wheel bearings,belts, ect. Anything can fail, its up to the driver-operator to maintain their equipment, something that seems forgotten now days.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by havacman View Post
    My mechanic told me that the liquid they spread on the highway before a snow to pretreat is the destroyer of the break lines.
    Tell me about it. My 2002 GMC envoy has been $$$ to fix. Fuel pump, Fuel lines, brake lines, transmission cooling lines, power steering cooler and lines what a pain in the butt.

Quote Originally Posted by jlperkins View Post
    2001 Chevy replaced all mine 2 year ago when one busted !!!!!1
    Same with my FIL 2004 Duramax 2500 a few years back. I thought he was just a good negotiator/complainer till I found out they GM had done this for many other people. His also went out when pulling out onto highway with boat in tow and my step son driving.
    "No one is useless in the world who lightens the burden of another" Charles Dickens

"Just because I do not agree with you does not mean I hate you or that I do not respect your opinion. We need to relearn that in our society."

2004 Ranger 521DVX
    2004 Yamaha Vmax HPDI 250

18. Member
    My rear brake hose let go towing to the lake. I had nothing,not even e-brake. The pucker factor went to a new level! My brother was more scared than I was... I think!? Ford 02 escape.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123