USA Anyone ever rebuild an older trolling motor instead of going new?

I HAVE A MINN KOTA MAXXUM PRO 80lb thrust motor that has the lift assist feature on it so its basically a Foretrex. The motor has a lot of play in the shaft, the shaft is pretty worn and shows quite a bit discoloration. Arrow indicator on top works but has crack on it........Otherwise motor seems to function ok,,,,,,instead of buying a new foretrex would it make sense to put money into an older maxxum 80 with lift assist feature?
    What I don't want to do is spend $600 plus to get it working better and still not replace the circutboard and have that go in a year or so.
    When was the maxxum pro last made - what year?

I think a new circuit board would be just as likely to go on a new one as an old one (and maybe more likely on a new one - you know the old one is sealed up good) unless part of rebuilding the old one involves opening something up that may break a seal and allow for easier water intrusion. I don't think there was much of a change from the Maxxum to the Fortex aside from the lift assist feature and a bigger mount on the Fortex (lots of complaints about them sticking up too far in the stowed position when they first came out), though others may have some more insight on that.

In any case, John Jones with Jones Trolling Motor (BBC username Jonestrollingmotor) would be the person to talk to. I'm all but certain that I've read some posts he's made in the past about rebuilding old Motorguide Tour models that wanted to keep them going instead of spending money on a new Minn Kota or going with the new X5 they didn't like for various reasons.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

I replaced several parts on my last Terrova after it started getting sloppy. Mostly in the steering and the mounts.
    MK has an online parts store and (most) parts were cheaper than I figured. You might check out getting it re-manufactured.

4. Member
    A+ for Jonestrollingmotor

I rebuilt my last maxxum. It was pretty easy and inexpensive. New bearings, steering indicator and gear, new plastic housing, etc. couple hours and a six pack
    Ranger R81VS, Mercury 175EFI w/ 25 Tempest

6. Dogfish_Jones
    I've rebuilt two MK and pretty much redone the entire bottoms, including the core casing. Both were rebuilt with MK parts from them for less than $100 and that including shipping fees.
    The parts are very reasonable.

7. Member
    Still rocking my old MK Maxxum 74 on my tin boat. Been rebuilt once. Well worth the money if you like the mount, and it aint shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogfish_Jones View Post
    I've rebuilt two MK and pretty much redone the entire bottoms, including the core casing. Both were rebuilt with MK parts from them for less than $100 and that including shipping fees.
    The parts are very reasonable.

+1 on Jones Trolling Motors! As stated, most wear item parts are not that expensive.
    I put less than $50 in parts from Jones into a used Maxxum that had an electrical short when I bought it. It has been running like a champ since!

Quote Originally Posted by creekchub View Post
    I HAVE A MINN KOTA MAXXUM PRO 80lb thrust motor that has the lift assist feature on it so its basically a Foretrex. The motor has a lot of play in the shaft, the shaft is pretty worn and shows quite a bit discoloration. Arrow indicator on top works but has crack on it........Otherwise motor seems to function ok,,,,,,instead of buying a new foretrex would it make sense to put money into an older maxxum 80 with lift assist feature?
    What I don't want to do is spend $600 plus to get it working better and still not replace the circutboard and have that go in a year or so.
    When was the maxxum pro last made - what year?
    Mr. Jones has a kit that they make up for a Maxuum with bushings and things that tighten it up after it has had quite a bit of use. There are some wear parts that need rep!acing so often..... It is not a MinnKota kit but rather a kit that he pieces together of things you need. It's about 30 or 40 bucks.....
    I would call Mr.Jones and discuss my problems and order the replacement parts I needed from him. I have ordered parts from him 4 or 5 times over the years and his service is excellent.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

10. Banned
    Just dropped cash into my old touring edition motorguide happy with it why replace.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jarhead175 View Post
    Just dropped cash into my old touring edition motorguide happy with it why replace.
    Same here as I have better things to spend 2K+ on than a new TM.

Bill

12. Member
    I do it for customers all the time. The rule of thumb I use when talking to a customer is "if" major components are still OK (Mount, footpedal, shafts, etc.) then it can be rebuilt for usually 1/2 or less than the price of a comparable new trolling motor. If you're looking at purchasing something comparable used, I would definitely rebuild unless you're getting it at a price that you can afford to rebuild. remember, you don't know what you're buying used, but you do know what you have now. Why put money into a used unit, only to have to rebuild it later on.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]