Thread: Back In Parking

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    I'm with Jimmy

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

pretty common up here for years, i do it because i have a long wheel base full size truck and seeing can be an issue, Here is why seeing is important, its easier to steer sharp and accurately in reverse, get in the spot decently, but you can get out faster and easier when you are on your way out, YOU can SEE the cross traffic better to choose your time, often cross traffic is going to fast because there time is more important than anyone else and they are in a hurry
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Quote Originally Posted by SteveDyer View Post
    I'm with Jimmy
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

4. Member
    I think you need a "Snickers" candy bar...SB...
    2006 Ranger 188 VX with 150 E TEC and I EAT BASS!!!

If I can't park in the north 40... .I back my excursion in. Less likely to hit a prius behind the truck driven by an uptight individual trying to get past me.

6. Member
    It's a safety deal from my experience. The safety department at my previous employer preached first move forward meaning it's safer to begin by driving forward rather than backwards. They said that at the end of the day everyone is ready to get home and their mind isn't always on paying attention to your surroundings so by pulling forward out of your parking you eliminate someone backing into something being in a hurry to get out of there.

7. Member
    tighter parking lots can make it difficult to get out and even make the turn in. backing up is easy because the front wheels help cutting the angle backing in and coming out is very easy going forward. so with all that I do because it is easier. and just an added bonus is with backup cameras, I can get my back bumper within inches of the car on the backside without risk. this minimizes how much I hang out into the lane.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    Its much safer, less accidents. UPS trucks try and never back up for this reason.
    correct answer , they are taught always back into a spot
    Last edited by Triton TR 20; 10-18-2018 at 12:59 PM.

Based up national statistics gathered from both law enforcement information and insurance companies, the majority of preventable crashes involved at least one party backing.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassworm1 View Post
    I use to do it in alot of places but it was because the darn parking spaces was so small and its easier to back into a spot than try and turn a big truck into one.
    +1. Especially when the lot gets full.
    Boatless Bank Trash for now

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    Easier to back my truck in to a parking spot. I do it.
    This.....^^^^^ Turning radius on the 1500 Silverado leaves alot to be desired. Parking spots are getting smaller while the trucks
    are getting bigger. I do park far out in the parking lot and generally pull thru so that I don't have to back up. I like the walk and
    I don't have to worry about door dings generally....I am amazed at how many young or otherwise fit drivers all hustle around the parking lot for the
    closest places.....never understood it...never will....too late for me to change LOL
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

12. Banned
    Back Up Cameras!

13. Member
    What I see is people who do not drive well back in because they’ve probably hit something previous.

14. Member
    All the data says its safer that way, its required for all of our fleet drivers.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lightningmusky View Post
    What I see is people who do not drive well back in because they’ve probably hit something previous.
    Or they learned their lesson and figured out the safest way to do it...
    If your sitting in a parking spot with a vehicle the same size on both sides of you...Can you see better pulling straight out or backing out?? It isnt rocket science..
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassworm1 View Post
    I use to do it in alot of places but it was because the darn parking spaces was so small and its easier to back into a spot than try and turn a big truck into one.
    THIS. ^^^ and I just have a 2007 Ram 1500 that is basically an extended cab, not a full crew cab or mega cab. Parking spaces are so small and rows so close together I don't know how the crew cab guys could function anywhere in the city unless they did back in.

Quote Originally Posted by barbarian View Post
    tighter parking lots can make it difficult to get out and even make the turn in. backing up is easy because the front wheels help cutting the angle backing in and coming out is very easy going forward. so with all that I do because it is easier. and just an added bonus is with backup cameras, I can get my back bumper within inches of the car on the backside without risk. this minimizes how much I hang out into the lane.
    This.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blade1970 View Post
    If you work in Telecommunications, it is required by employer.. I back in to every parking space, whether I'm at work or not. This has been the practice for over 30 years.
    ^^^^^This^^^^^^ Most major companies the require you to drive their vehicle drill this into your brain. Mine was "avoid backing, if you must back, back upon arrival". After doing this for so long you do it in your personal vehicle as well.

19. Member
    If you've ever taken a Defensive Driving class they will tell you that it is preferred to pull through to the second spot so when you pull out you aren't backing into the isle. If that isn't possible, it is safer to back into the spot.

We have a grocery store here in town (Kroger) that my agency works 2 or 3 wrecks a week in their parking lot. MOST of them are backing out of a parking space and either back into another car backing out across the isle from them or back into another car that didn't slow down coming down the isle. It must the a twice a day event to have a wreck there every day of the week.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barbarian View Post
    This. Easier to back in than drive in.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast