Ranger R82 Repower Question

Have this thread in Mercury forum but not getting a lot of feed back. I recently repowered 97 Ranger R 82 sport from a 150 efi to a Mercury 150 4 Stroke @B467082. Running a 23 Tempest plus which was on the EFI. Has a 6 inch manual jackplate. Hole shot is slower although it helped to plug all 3 holes in prop. Running WOT 5650-5700 RPM 57-58 MPH Water pressure 25-30, 3 1/4 inches below pad. Smartcraft Monitor SC 1000. I can live with the set up but would like better hole shot. Would a Hydrofoil be a simple solution? Or should I try a different prop?

2. Banned
    Prop when you say plug do you mean you closed off all 3 holes with solid plugs?

3. Member
    Yes I plugged all 3 pvs holes with solid plugs. When I bought the boat with the efi on it all 3 holes had plugs with about 3/8 opening. I tried the 4 stroke with those in and then took them out completely which made the hole shot even worse. Hole shot seems to be some better with solid plugs in all three holes. But its still a little slow with just me in the boat and I only weigh about 155.

4. Member
    Normally you don't vent a 4 stroke but you can try small PVS plugs instead of the solids to get more rpm's on take off. Your looking for 3500-3800 rpm's at break over.

Try to take one plug out and see how it is
    Ranger R81VS, Mercury 175EFI w/ 25 Tempest

6. Banned
    On my previous boat I messed with the plugs and never seemed to find the right amount of venting. So I bought a set of solid plugs and drilled them out 1/32" per run with a cordless drill till I got the hole shot rpms I wanted.

7. Member
    You could try a 23" trophy with all holes plugged, that should give you a better hole shot.

8. Member
    Prop shop in Oklahoma City suggested I try a Power Tech Tro 4 23 pitch. Any thoughts?

Tempest or Trophy, if you get a foil, get a Chris Baily or Allison. It will keep the nose down better and probably will help the hole shot time a little. However I would recommend getting the prop and p to p right first then try the foil. On my Cougar the foil did nothing for hole shot time, just kept the nose down and stay on plane about 4 mph slower which is helpful when side graphing
    Thank You Leon Pugh