Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How much wind is too much?

When you're looking at the forecast for a day you planned to fish, at what point do you make other plans? This weekend they're calling for 7-10 mph winds, not bad, but with 23 mph gusts. Makes me think about staying in...

2. Banned
    hek no! go for it! sounds like most of day will be under 10mph. go fishing!

3. California Fishing Moderator Captain Babito A7T3C's Avatar
    Anything under 10mph, i'm going.

If i see steady winds from 15+ and the location doesn't have coves and cover for me to get out of it i'll look for another day. Probably my biggest annoyance is fishing with crazy winds.
    2017 Nitro Z18 - Mercury ProXS 175 - 24P Fury - Elite 9 TI2 - Fortrex

4. Moderator Vexus Boats sclark's Avatar
    Not sure about your location, but here we always double the predicted wind speed - if they say 8mph winds figure closer to 16mph.
    it may be just the way our lakes funnel wind ,,

5. Member
    Get yourself a drift sock or two, and you will be fine under those conditions.
    2019 Vexus 1880 w/ Mercury Pro-XS 115 4-stroke, MK 80lb Fortex, Twin Helix 7 Birds, Pro II PowerPole. AEguideservice.com

6. Member
    Since I bought my Ultrex the wind is alot less of a factor

Depends on the size of the water and wind direction. If the wind is going to be blowing parallel to the straights, and you go out with the wind, you may find you will be beating your boat to death returning against the wind. If it is a cross wind on a narrow body of water, you can usually get out of it on the windward bank. But remember, fishing can be great on a leeward bank if you can hang with it.

8. Member
    Depends on the lake or river. I respect the wind on wide open water.

9. Joe4d
    depends on the body of water, for something like that, I can pick and chose different places to fish if the direction is forecast to be steady..

10. Member
    I fished in 15-18 with my Ultrex. Poifeckt!!
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

If I’m fishing big open water I don’t like getting my feet wet. If it’s small lakes like 5000 acres or less then anything less then a tornado is no problem.

If I'm fishing with bass gear I'll stay out till it hits 25+ sustained, you're not gonna finesse fish but cranks and spinnerbaits on main lake points are you're friend.

if I'm fly fishing 15-20 becomes a chore and I look for coves.

i get very few days to fish, probably less than 30 per year. Weather had better be BAD to keep me off the water

If it is over 15 MPH I start evaluating the direction of the wind and how protected I am. I launch and fish where I am protected. I avoid fishing on real windy days. I am more cognizant of the wind in my RT than I was in my big glass boats.

The MPH is not a great way to decide without considering the direction and protection and open water.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

14. Member
    An 80# Trolling motor on a 18' tin? GO!

15. Member
    You've all made me feel like a wimp! ha!

OK, I'm going out.

16. Member
    depends on what lake I'm fishing... 10mph from the N or S on KY lake is too much, but 20-25mph any direction on Dale Hollow I'll fish all day long.

17. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Like most have said it depends on the body of water. If I’m fishing a large bowl shaped lake I very much check the wind so that my little Triton stays dry. But, like this weekend, I’m fishing an area I can get out of the wind pretty much no matter how bad it gets.

If you you can get out there and be safe, I say go for it but never underestimate Mother Nature, we have all seen what happens when people go past their limits.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

18. Member
    If you run a GPS trolling motor like an XI5 or Terrova boat positioning is a non factor as long as you are not in thick weeds. The problem is keeping slack out of the line.

FWIW I consider 17 MPH to be the breaking point for me most of the time. If it picks up while I am out there I will stick it out but I will not plan to go if it is above that.

19. Banned
    If at 15, I'll pass on going. Stay till about 20, depending on the water. Wind annoys me. So much better with spot lock now, but just the blowing in my face annoys me.

20. Banned

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast