Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Is that picture real? 6 tornadoes touched down with a 7th inline! Glad I don’t see a lake!

The offshore guys crack me up! You can see waterspouts and they’re like, “nah we’re good, it’s not coming toward us”...while I’m yaking over the side of the boat.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    Is that picture real? 6 tornadoes touched down with a 7th inline! Glad I don’t see a lake!

The offshore guys crack me up! You can see waterspouts and they’re like, “nah we’re good, it’s not coming toward us”...while I’m yaking over the side of the boat.
    It must be real. It came off the internet.

For me the wind isn’t a big deal ( unless it’s some crazy marine weather advisory) most of the season. The problem is right now, I want to go out tomorrow but they’re calling for gusts to 30mph here, that’s not too bad for the smaller lakes around here but the main issue is the forecasted high for tomorrow is only 2 degrees above freezing. I think I’ll be finding something indoors to do tomorrow.
    Triton Tr17, Yamaha 130
    Lund Pro V 1900, Optimax 200
    Smokercraft Pro Mag 182, Suzuki DF140
    Helix 9si, 10si mega
    Minnkota Talon, Terrova

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Seguin Fisher View Post
    For me the wind isn’t a big deal ( unless it’s some crazy marine weather advisory) most of the season. The problem is right now, I want to go out tomorrow but they’re calling for gusts to 30mph here, that’s not too bad for the smaller lakes around here but the main issue is the forecasted high for tomorrow is only 2 degrees above freezing. I think I’ll be finding something indoors to do tomorrow.
    It blew 30 today with gusts over 50 and we had snow flurries. I was invited to do some crappie fishing but I passed. I will however be chasing bass tomorrow.

5. Member
    Wind wound up not being an issue. I really don’t think it blew like they predicted. Didn’t really feel any gusts, let alone 20+.

Now for tomorrow they’re calling for winds of 15-21 mph and gusts to 33 mph. Hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Grahamb View Post
    You've all made me feel like a wimp! ha!

OK, I'm going out.
    Very easy to do in a forum from your couch...if you don't feel comfortable, don't go, or put in somewhere protected and stay there.

7. Member
    depends where you fish. The only way I cancel is if conditions would be unsafe. I've fished through tropical storms with steady 30mph winds, but I was fishing a small body of water with no concerns to rough water, only trees falling lol brought a chainsaw with me just incase one would have fell across the road to get there though lol

8. Banned
    Safety is only one part of the equation. Comfort is the other. While fishing 25mph or more might not necessarily be unsafe, it sure can take the fun out of fishing. Unless I'm on vacation or competing for money, i see no reason to fish in wind over 25mph.

We fished Webster Lake, IN last weekend (Oct 20). Day started out nice enough...sunny, 5-10 mph winds. Day ended with 45-50 mph winds, rain, sleet and rain/snow mix. I wouldn't normally be out there but it was the first day of the PMTT Championship tourney. Staying bed was not an option. We got blown around a lot, even in "sheltered" areas. Got pounded out on open water. Ran the TM batteries down pretty good while trying to sit still with Spotlock on.
    2018 Skeeter MX1825 w/175 Yamaha 4-Stroke
    80# MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    HB Helix 10 SI Mega, HB Helix 9 SI, Helix 9, Garmin 106SV
    USAF Ret

Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Archer View Post
    We fished Webster Lake, IN last weekend (Oct 20). Day started out nice enough...sunny, 5-10 mph winds. Day ended with 45-50 mph winds, rain, sleet and rain/snow mix. I wouldn't normally be out there but it was the first day of the PMTT Championship tourney. Staying bed was not an option. We got blown around a lot, even in "sheltered" areas. Got pounded out on open water. Ran the TM batteries down pretty good while trying to sit still with Spotlock on.
    Yea, Webster is 30 minutes from my house. Iam there at least once a month. If you want to see some real bad stuff Wawasee lake is 3 times as big just 5 miles north. It was rocking pretty good that weekend.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorglenn View Post
    Yea, Webster is 30 minutes from my house. Iam there at least once a month. If you want to see some real bad stuff Wawasee lake is 3 times as big just 5 miles north. It was rocking pretty good that weekend.
    I would imagine so. Especially since the wind direction was rolling straight down it. We found some decent areas on the north-west side of the lake but even then it was blowing down the canals behind the houses like a NASA wind tunnel.
    2018 Skeeter MX1825 w/175 Yamaha 4-Stroke
    80# MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    HB Helix 10 SI Mega, HB Helix 9 SI, Helix 9, Garmin 106SV
    USAF Ret

Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Archer View Post
    I would imagine so. Especially since the wind direction was rolling straight down it. We found some decent areas on the north-west side of the lake but even then it was blowing down the canals behind the houses like a NASA wind tunnel.
    lol, yep I know which channel your talking about. It’s pretty awesome to see whitecaps coming down a channel into a lake LOL

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

13. Member
    Since I put my Ultrex on my 198P I will go in a hurricane. I used to HATE the wind, but once you have the ability to fish in it you soon learn it can make for the best fishing of your life.

14. Member
    Table Rock fish don't bite under 15 MPH.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slonezp View Post
    It must be real. It came off the internet.
    I've seen five before....

16. Member
    with a 105 lb trolling motor, and a mountainous river, i can fish in just about any amount of wind - it just depends on where i go. in very low water it becomes a problem reading where the rocks are though.
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

Bouncin' off rocks, and catching the smallies.

Potomac River Smallmouth Guide

Owner of Potomac Custom Tackle

I never trust the wind forecast. I look outside when I’m ready to go and see how it looks at that point.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Quote Originally Posted by slonezp View Post
    Safety is only one part of the equation. Comfort is the other. While fishing 25mph or more might not necessarily be unsafe, it sure can take the fun out of fishing. Unless I'm on vacation or competing for money, i see no reason to fish in wind over 25mph.
    Same here the pain in the ass factor is too high for me catch a fish and take your foot off the troller and drift way away from your spot. I like to fish not run the trolling motor non stop.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12