Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

how long is too long for a boat to be at the shop?

I got a tricky issue with my motor for the entire year. A random miss that may or may not happen during the course of the day. Dealt with it for the first 6 months and decided I needed to address it. First mechanic changed everything under the sun and could not figure it out. This was a span of 2 months but he would come to my house and work on it so I had the boat. Second mechanic after describing the issue really didn't want to deal with it and never got the boat off the trailer . He didn't drop it in the water on the trailer and checked a couple things (2 weeks). Now on the 3rd mechanic and its been 2 months. I called him 2 weeks ago and he didn't really say much but that he took it out and looked at a couple things and was taking it back out the next day. I hate to hound him and call again but just starting to seem a little excessive.

2. Member
    If he had it for 2 months and "looked at a couple of things" that's a huge problem for me. I'd find a new mechanic.
    2004 Tracker Avalanche with 150 Mercury XR6

3. Banned
    What motor? My bro in law is having the same hell trying to fix his yami f150. Boat just sits there, finally gets looked at and “fixed”, only to have the same issue and start the process all over again.

4. Member
    Time to move on and wouldn't worry about paying him

5. Member
    A mechanic with nothing to do could be a good sign or a very bad sign.

6. Member
    Move on. If the first guy that changed everything under the sun he had no idea what he was doing. Throwing parts at it doesn't fix it.

7. Member
    I've had some issues in the past that were not small, and my boat has never spent more than 4-5 days in the shop. I always make sure to tell them when I expect it back, and if they can't commit I move on. If they do commit, and don't deliver, then I show up for the boat and move on without payment. Two months is way too long for anything to be fixed on a boat.

2022 21PHX

Previous boats:
    2017 Phoenix 721 ProXP
    2000 Triton TR186

8. Member
    Frustrating deal for sure, I'd suggest having the lower unit checked out if you haven't already.

9. Member
    Sounds to me like they cant figure it out,,wasting time. So their fixing the boats they can ahead of you to get paid quick. Find another. Anything over a week is not fixing your boat

10. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I agree with brushsjigs! Problems are set aside for the easy stuff to get fixed...they’re looking at yours in their downtime. I hope you aren’t chasing an electrical issue and it gets found very soon! I’d pick her up and take her to a certified mechanic of your brand.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

11. Member
    I absolutely HATE trying to get an outboard motor problem analyzed and repaired if it is more than an obvious issue like water pump or spark plugs. I have a 2004 Evinrude 200 and trying to find someone who is willing to figure out problems is almost impossible.

12. Member
    This thread only reinforces the idea when buying a boat of having a reliable and trustworthy mechanic/service centre who is capable of diagnosing and properly repairing your outboard, and in a reasonable time frame. Access to such is probably more important than the actual brand of engine.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

Quote Originally Posted by richhat52 View Post
    Time to move on and wouldn't worry about paying him
    Till he drops a lien on you and you will get to deal with another headache. Pay the guy for work performed and move on
    Last edited by Mark Perry; 10-18-2018 at 04:50 PM.

14. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Till he drops a line on you and you will get to deal with another headache. Pay the guy for work performed and move on
    THIS ^^^^^

15. Member
    Regardless of the boat/motor brand the "Random miss" is a troublesome issue, unless you get lucky. The first Red flag was he came to your driveway. The second Red flag was "he took it out for a ride". To properly fix an outboard you need tools, computers, and a Dyno to cause the problem to occur so that you can test and repair it correctly. I hear this from people ALL the time. Unfortunately it costs $$$. And trusting someone taking my boat out to "Test it" is something that i would not be comfortable with if i was you. I understand wanting to maybe save some money, and with easy jobs like waterpumps and plugs that might work, but most of the time it will be frustrating and cost more money. Bring it to an Authorized Dealer....it may hurt a little at first, but in the long run it will be worth it.

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    This thread only reinforces the idea when buying a boat of having a reliable and trustworthy mechanic/service centre who is capable of diagnosing and properly repairing your outboard, and in a reasonable time frame. Access to such is probably more important than the actual brand of engine.
    Agreed.
    Go to a trusted, brand specific mechanic, and be prepared to pay.
    Intermittent issues with an outboard are the worst. Often hard and time consuming to troubleshoot, and in the end the owner often doesn't want to pay for your time.

Not sure what brand engine it is but on some Optis and SHOs a battery issue can mimic fuel issues etc. A loose connection etc can cause it to cut out intermittently.

18. Member
    I blew a head gasket and tech had it for 3 weeks, rebuilt the carbs, and tilt/trim. Take it out, ran fine for 12 miles then return trip started cutting out intermittently. I take it back and tell the guy I was working that weekend so look at it soon, calls me yesterday and tells me top plug wire not connected fully. Now after the initial trip I took plugs off and checked compression (90 all the way around) and next trip, same issue. Getting it tomorrow and I have had it 3 days in last month so I totally get where you are coming from, IF it runs bad tomorrow, not sure which direction to go.

If the 3 mechanics you used were not certified on that brand of motor, take it to a certified dealer and have their mechanics do the work. If a certified mechanic can't fix the problem, you might call the regional rep of the outboard company and see if he can help.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

10 years would be a little excessive for me.
    Www.thkustoms.com

"Speak softly and carry a Big Stick!"-Theodore Roosevelt
    USN 2002-2008
    NAS Whidbey Island
    USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN 71)
    Operation Iraqi Freedom/Operation Enduring Freedom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast