Thread: Electrolysis

Electrolysis

I run electric only lakes where I live
    heres what I’m running
    14 ft weldbuilt mv1448
    transom mount 12 volt MinnKota endura max
    bow MinnKota bt terrova 80 w I-Pilot 24 volt.
    I Replaced my prop the other day on my transom mount trolling motor and found some white stuff on the Skeg of the motor I know it’s electrolysis I’m fairly certain. I’ve done some searching around and have read where people are connecting or bonding there a cranking and tm batteries. Can anyone confirm this is what I need to do . I am a little unclear as I’m running two tm not a tm and a big motor.Thanks

2. Banned
    You're running into a "charged" problem which is something that any one who utilise the downriggers for trolling know about.
    Sacrificial Anodes will help. You will want to see how to dissipate the differential charge build-up between the boat and the water.
    Once you get that cleared up you will probably notice an increase in fishing action.
    Look into Kipawa tri-blade to boost your trolling motor output.

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Do your TMs share a battery? If so, you need to be sure both have their negative lead on the same battery.

If they don’t share a battery, is there any connection between them? How do you run your electronics and other equipment?
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Member
    Each motor has its own battery system . My live well pumps and my radio in my nav lights are ran off a 12 V battery on the transom that runs the back motor . My fishfinder my 360 or run off its own dedicated battery in the back

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    Each motor has its own battery system . My live well pumps and my radio in my nav lights are ran off a 12 V battery on the transom that runs the back motor . My fishfinder my 360 or run off its own dedicated battery in the back
    So to get the setup straight in our minds, you have 4 batteries??? One for transom 12V trolling motor, bilge, livewell, radio, and nav lights (how are the nav lights grounded), one for fishfinder, and 360, and two for the Terrova. Is this correct. If so, are any of the batteries connected to each other through the use of a ground wire or jumper wires -- besides the jumper to make 24V.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    So to get the setup straight in our minds, you have 4 batteries??? One for transom 12V trolling motor, bilge, livewell, radio, and nav lights (how are the nav lights grounded), one for fishfinder, and 360, and two for the Terrova. Is this correct. If so, are any of the batteries connected to each other through the use of a ground wire or jumper wires -- besides the jumper to make 24V.
    John
    Yes! You got it:-) no jumpers other than the batteries for the terrova to make 24 volts. My nav lights have a red and a black wire.. Black to a negative buss bar running to the battery it’s gtting power from and the positive comes from a switch . I don’t know if it makes a difference but I do not have my battery chargers on my boat yet getting ready to do a remodel so I charge them at home on the charger and then I pull the charger out of the boat . I have completely isolated my electronics from my other batteries because I was having interference issues with the Megs frequency. I just want to say thank you to everybody so far For trying to help me to figure this out.

7. Member
    did separating the batteries to a different "house or electronics" cure the interference issue or did you have to do something else?
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    [/SIGPIC]

8. Member
    At one point I had two 12volts wired together to gain amp hrs for the trolling motor at the same time I had my fishfinder on it too which I know is a no-no but I had a wire running from the negative from the fish finder to the lower unit on the transom troller which solved my inference issue. But that was before I added the terrova and changed my arrangement. I also saw some signs of electrolysis going on . All of this went on over the course of the week so I thought I had killed two birds with one stone and then when I went to go change out my prop noticed it was still there . When I swapped out motors I also remove the wire going down to the lower unit since I didn’t need it.

9. Member
    How long ago did this happen.
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

10. Member
    About a month and a half ago

11. Member
    Nodoby else?

12. Member
    Update:
    .....so you know how big things start out little?
    So I did a lot of research google will make your head spin . This thing is driving me nuts so I decided to put the boat up for the season to see if I can figure it out plus
    i added a dry box to the rear bench and a large hatch lid added to the front deck of my modest little tin rig . So I pulled my floor backup as I’m going to extend my front deck to cover up the batteries I added for the terrova I just bought a month ago. When I pulled up the floor I was greeted with more hooks, lead and all the other little nasties and to top it off a penny! Gotta love that! I don’t think there’s an emoji for choking somebody! Lol! So the only question remains is will taking care of what I did take care off what I was seeing at my transom troller ? I’m concerned about the 2500 dollar terrova.