First time fishing Rayburn. leaving for a 3 day trip tomorrow, Any advise?

We're leaving early tomorrow morning for a 3 day trip to Rayburn. I have never fished it before, but have always wanted to go. We are taking a guide out with us tomorrow morning for a half day, leaving from Lakeview boat ramp. After that, we'll be fishing Friday and Saturday from the south end of the lake closer to the house we are staying in.

Any advise on where to go/where to avoid, would be greatly appreciated. Not trying to steal anyone's secrets, just trying to avoid hazards, and give ourselves a decent chance to catch some fish.
    '17 Nitro Z21, 250ProXS serial # 2B399616, 24p Fury4, 12" Atlas, Apex 16 @ console, Apex 16 & Apex 13 @ bow, Mega 360, Ultrex, 8ft blades

You can spend an entire day in Five Fingers if you're going to be in the South end, also Caney Creek should be good. Haven't been up there in a while so not sure what is going on with water temp and such.
    Eddie
    2017 Phoenix 920 Pro XP Mercury 250 Pro XS

3. Member
    The south is pretty open. You can see single stumps out there now at this level. Farmers flats sticks way out and is shallow so run really wide of it. Caney, veach, and five fingers, also Coleman and Norris can all hold fish. I'm up here now and with this front it's getting about 3 or 4 degrees colder each day. The small fish are biting but I cant catch anything over 2lbs. They were up shallow before all this but are backing out now. Fall big bass splash is this weekend so it will be a little crowded in some areas.

Take a rain suit!!!

5. Member
    First time I was on the lake, down at the dam, I was surprised by how big, wide, it is. I saw why they call it BIG Sam, indeed.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ANDYE View Post
    First time I was on the lake, down at the dam, I was surprised by how big, wide, it is. I saw why they call it BIG Sam, indeed.
    This time of year you have to watch the wind forecast. Double what they call for and dont launch at the damn with a north wind. The lake is really big and gets deadly rough if you get caught out in the wrong situation. It claims a few boats each year. Plenty of launches in protected areas though

Well how'd u do?
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    Well how'd u do?
    We ended up fishing all 3 days on the North end of the lake. Launched from Monterrey Park. Spent half day Thursday learning where it was safe to run recording tracks on the graphs. Fished Thursday afternoon, all day Fri and Sat. Came home Sunday morning. Conditions were tough. We managed 10 fish Thurs., 13 Friday, and only 6 on Sat. Biggest fish only went 4.75, but the average was 2.50. We had a good time and managed to avoid hitting any stumps or tearing anything up. Running through those cuts at speed definitely adds a "pucker" factor.
    '17 Nitro Z21, 250ProXS serial # 2B399616, 24p Fury4, 12" Atlas, Apex 16 @ console, Apex 16 & Apex 13 @ bow, Mega 360, Ultrex, 8ft blades

I was there for 4 days also, went above 103 on Friday and zeroed. U did better then me my average was close to a 1lb. Lots of non keepers, finally figured out how to get a bigger bite on Saturday.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    I was there for 4 days also, went above 103 on Friday and zeroed. U did better then me my average was close to a 1lb. Lots of non keepers, finally figured out how to get a bigger bite on Saturday.
    We marked a lot of fish while running with the guide Thursday. He actually encouraged us to do it. Very nice guy. We caught majority of fish on spinner baits, Carolina rig, weighted fluke, and rattle trap.