mikesxpress

250 CMS Pro XS V8 spark plug check

9.7 hours
    Wanted to pull the plugs and do a check on carbon build and gap. Some carbon as expected but the gap on all 8 plugs were off. Supposed to be .035. I do all my plugs with a wire and I found the factory had them ranging from .032-.033. Wire brushed, shot of brake cleaner, dab of anti-seize on the threads, dab of dialectical grease on the end, and back in.

Tip: The boots go waaay up in there and were a PIA to take off the 1st time. Spray the entire boot with 303 protectant and it makes it much easier to R&R the boots and you can feel them seat on the plug.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please be sure to reference your Engine Serial Number when posting. Thanks!

Glad to hear they were at least within .003"...

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. mikesxpress
    Serial# 2B529759

Don would you install a set of plugs at .003 off?
    Me either....

4. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Wouldn’t it be better to be off on the short side so as it wears, it’s closer to .035 than wearing wider?

5. mikesxpress
    The engine was designed to run correctly with 8 plugs set to .035. Your not going to realize optimum performance unless they are set to specifications.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Serial# 2B529759

Don would you install a set of plugs at .003 off?
    Me either....
    Nope- sure wouldn't. That's actually a LOT closer than most of the previous model's gaps I checked, though.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor