1997 Champion 181

Hey guys, I'm looking at a 1997 Champion 181. From the pictures, it looks to be in good shape. I plan to see it in person in the next few days. Is there anything in particular that I should check for on this model? Seems like I remember reading somewhere that this year model (and others) were bad about getting water under the top cap. I can't find the thread now. Anyway, let me know what you think. Thanks in advance!!
    I'm boatless..
    SOLD: 2016 Ranger RT188 / Mercury 115 ProXS 4S

I loved my 1998 181. Just check the whole boat thoroughly and especially the transom.

3. Member
    I have a 97 181 elite and really like it but cant figure out how to mount electronics around the console?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JigAWorm View Post
    Hey guys, I'm looking at a 1997 Champion 181. From the pictures, it looks to be in good shape. I plan to see it in person in the next few days. Is there anything in particular that I should check for on this model? Seems like I remember reading somewhere that this year model (and others) were bad about getting water under the top cap. I can't find the thread now. Anyway, let me know what you think. Thanks in advance!!
    I had a 97 186, owned it for 10 years. The rub rail was attached with rivets. If the rub rail was loose, or had a slight gap between the top cap and rub rail, water would run down behind the rub rail, then migrate through/over the rivets into the hull. Most notably into the rod lockers. I returned my 186 to the dealer. They pulled the rope out of the rub rail, drilled the rivets out and replaced with screws dipped in silicone sealant. That fixed my problem with water in the rod lockers. I also remember some of the front pedestal fittings needed a longer rubber drain tube to get the water down into the hull/bilge area. If the tube was to short the water would enter the center storage locker.
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

5. Member
    I have a 95 181 and love it. Make sure the transom is not wet and the floor deck is not "soft". Mine was my first ever boat purchase and I paid to have a boat shop look at it. It was the best $100 I ever spent. I get compliments on my old boat all the time! Your gonna like the 181.
    Last edited by natchomamma; 10-21-2018 at 03:42 PM.

6. Member
    my 95 181DC is a great boat---blast to drive
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

Fun to drive. Rear storage is minimal/zero. a little tippy for fishing compared to big boats, but you get used to it. Single console would be amazing and really make it feel bigger.

with a warmed up 2.5 it is a really fun ride and doesn’t get left by many.....

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by natchomamma View Post
    I have a 95 181 and love it. Make sure the transom is not wet and the floor deck is not "soft". Mine was my first ever boat purchase and I paid to have a boat shop look at it. It was the best $100 I ever spent. I get compliments on my old boat all the time! Your gonna like the 181.
    I checked the transom today and it seems solid, so did the floor and deck. Does the floor contain wood? If so, was it year 2002 when the floor went to all synthetic, like the transom?
    I'm boatless..

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hydrashack View Post
    Fun to drive. Rear storage is minimal/zero. a little tippy for fishing compared to big boats, but you get used to it. Single console would be amazing and really make it feel bigger.

with a warmed up 2.5 it is a really fun ride and doesn’t get left by many.....
    Yes! I noticed the back deck was mostly bilge, then livewell, then 2 small storage containers on each side of the rear deck.
    I'm boatless..

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by okiebass View Post
    my 95 181DC is a great boat---blast to drive
    The owner says he's only running mid 50s, which seems super slow for this boat. Prop is a 23 Tempest, on a 97 Mariner 150 EFI. The prop does have some damage on the blades ... that's probably the reason.
    I'm boatless..

11. Member
    The owner says he's only running mid 50s, which seems super slow for this boat. Prop is a 23 Tempest, on a 97 Mariner 150 EFI. The prop does have some damage on the blades ... that's probably the reason.
    Along with the prop being dinged up, the leading edge ABOVE the nosecone is chipped, along with a chip in the skeg. And lastly, the anti ventilation plate has a chip out of the side of it.
    I'm boatless..

12. Member
    Here a link to the boat on CL: https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/b...720746556.html
    I'm boatless..

13. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Champion went to all-composite in 2003, with the Genmar purchase. They moved production from Arkansas to Tennessee.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lea View Post
    Champion went to all-composite in 2003, with the Genmar purchase. They moved production from Arkansas to Tennessee.
    Couldn't remember if it was 02 or 03. Thanks!!
    I'm boatless..

15. Member
    Mine is running 61GPS with a 23 Trophy Plus and 6 inch plate---mite get lil more with a Tempest but i like it as is ---Holeshot and handling with the trophy is awesome
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

16. Member
    Did you ever get the boat dialed in? I just purchased a 98 181 and it’s running mid 50’s with no jack plate.

05 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    05 Mercury 200 EFI 2.5

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate4Fishing View Post
    Did you ever get the boat dialed in? I just purchased a 98 181 and it’s running mid 50’s with no jack plate.
    The boat in question was one that I was looking at, but didn't actually buy. Good luck dialing it in!
    I'm boatless..