Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unbiased opinion on electronics

As the title states, as much of an unbiased opinion as I can get! Figured the general forum may be better for that.
    I just bought a new Ranger Z518 as my first boat. Have been planning on everything Garmin (1242xsv touch units, UHD transducer, Livescope). As I look through all of the sonar sections and view screenshots, it just seems there aren't much on the UHD image quality. Looking through the image sections, it appears the Garmin down vu and side vu images may not be as good? I have messed with all 3 of the common finders (Lowrance, Humminbird and Garmin) in the store and feel I could get used to any of them.
    Most of my fishing will be for bass but hopefully be doing some crappie, wiper, walleye, etc.
    I realize there is always something new coming out, just trying to make the right decision the first time around.

2. Member
    i don't think there is a right or wrong decision. you have to know what you are going to use them for and what your expectation is on the images.

i had lowrance and humminbird and when i replaced everything i wanted lowrance, but it was so confusing as to what i was buying i ended up with humminbird helix and i don't regret it. I have friends with lowrance and depending on what level they have they are all nice and do the job.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

3. Member
    find out what lakes you normally fish and find the best maps. Base your decision on that. They are all good. Make sure to do a proper installation.

The BEST thing for you to do is go to a shop that has a good selection of graphs on display that are powered up on simulation that you can PLAY with hands on. I've had Humminbirds, Garmin, and Lowrance (HDS 8's with Structure scan now). Each has its better points than the other. I just won a Raymarine Axiom 9 RV that I was going to sell, but after playing with one at BPS on the way home, i'm thinking of replacing my HDS 8 at the helm. So, do some homework, maybe ride with someone who has what you're thinking about and then decide before you put out the big bucks. You might be best to buy "used" to start also. Good luck and be smart
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

5. Member
    I've had all 3, but prefer the simplicity of Garmin. As said above, there is no wrong choice. They will all do the job. It's the fisherman, not the boat or accessories, that get the job done.

I'm a Lowrance guy. I'm leaning towards Raymarine when I replace what I have now.

7. Member
    I think that the birds have the best images but the Lowrance units are much easier and pleasurable to use.

8. Member
    Thanks for all the info so far! Has anyone actually seen and used the UHD Garmin transducer to compare to Humminbird? I ask this hoping to hear from Humminbird owners on this subject as it seems most feel the birds have the best side and down imaging. If Garmin UHD is close, I suspect I would be happy.

9. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    DO YOUR HOMEWORK BEFORE SETTLING !!!!!

I see alot of guy with all brands not getting real deep into researching to figure out what a unit will do/not do and only for them to buy X brand and then come back on here complaining because it doesn't do XYZ cause they didnt ask or read and just ASSUMED........

They all have similar features but most aren't exact so it can make a difference for someone....also you cant compare each brand apples for apples, cause they may not do the same thing......

Mapping; it varies by brand, and each has their own mapping that will only work with its own unit, then you have Navionics that will only work with HB and Lowrance, but not garmin, so if mapping is important looks to see what best covers your area and decide.

And so on....you can look at screen shots from all brands to determine what everything looks like....

If you are reading, you will see that Lowrance is releasing some new units and stuff this year and beginning of next year, looks like HB may have a Gen 3 Helix, not sure about Garmin but the GPS map series is about 4-5 yrs old.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

I wish one of them would come out with a universal display and just start putting the "guts" of the units inside a black box we could hide up under the console or something. We're already half way there with the extra modules they use to add features (for Lowrance units, for example, the structure scan boxes for old HDS units, the 3D boxes for newer ones, and now the LiveSight ones for Carbon units).

The prices that we have to pay when new units come out is just insane, and it's even more insane when you consider that the smaller screen units have (basically) the same guts as the big ones. How much does a bigger screen cost the company? A few extra bucks? Yet it can very easily cost us 4 times as much for a unit that does the same things but simply shows it on a bigger screen. And if a screen goes, the whole thing has to be replaced. Or if the internals become outdated or something breaks, the perfectly good screen is gone too.

Weatherproofing would also be much simpler. As it is, trying to weatherproof a screen and all the internals and have all of the ports in one self-contained unit makes it way more complicated than it needs to be. It also likely raises the price due to having to stuff everything in a small container (consider the cost of outboard motors vs car motors, though I get that this analogy isn't perfect due to one living in water).

It'll never happen - I'm certain they make their money off everything that I've written above, and the patents they have on everything will stop any new entrants to the market that might disrupt things. Oh well, we can dream. Apologies for the rant, it's just something that drives me nuts. This stuff COULD be a lot more accessible to the masses, but the companies rely on people having to replace everything every couple years to keep up.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    I wish one of them would come out with a universal display and just start putting the "guts" of the units inside a black box we could hide up under the console or something. We're already half way there with the extra modules they use to add features (for Lowrance units, for example, the structure scan boxes for old HDS units, the 3D boxes for newer ones, and now the LiveSight ones for Carbon units).

The prices that we have to pay when new units come out is just insane, and it's even more insane when you consider that the smaller screen units have (basically) the same guts as the big ones. How much does a bigger screen cost the company? A few extra bucks? Yet it can very easily cost us 4 times as much for a unit that does the same things but simply shows it on a bigger screen. And if a screen goes, the whole thing has to be replaced. Or if the internals become outdated or something breaks, the perfectly good screen is gone too.

Weatherproofing would also be much simpler. As it is, trying to weatherproof a screen and all the internals and have all of the ports in one self-contained unit makes it way more complicated than it needs to be. It also likely raises the price due to having to stuff everything in a small container (consider the cost of outboard motors vs car motors, though I get that this analogy isn't perfect due to one living in water).

It'll never happen - I'm certain they make their money off everything that I've written above, and the patents they have on everything will stop any new entrants to the market that might disrupt things. Oh well, we can dream. Apologies for the rant, it's just something that drives me nuts. This stuff COULD be a lot more accessible to the masses, but the companies rely on people having to replace everything every couple years to keep up.
    I totally agree with your logic! It would make the most sense for the consumer, however I also believe you are spot on. They make their money on us wanting the latest and greatest every year.

The boat I got rid of had all Hjmminbird stuff. The boat I have now has all Lowrance stuff with structure scan. They both work well, but in all honesty, I could run the Humminbirds with very little training. The Lowrance units I feel like I need to go to a class to perfect. Some people are the opposite and Lowrance is easier. They both give me great results, I just felt the Humminbird was easier all around (install and use)
    Ranger R81VS, Mercury 175EFI w/ 25 Tempest

13. Member
    Service after the warranty has expired.

2018 Ranger z520L
    2020 250 Pro XS
    2B694324

14. Member
    You are absolutely right ! the price of electronics today “ is an absolute “ripoff” !..I will run the units I have now” until they quit ! then I will find the best deal possible buying new ones....

15. Member
    I was in your shoes a couple of years ago. I wanted to upgrade but was unsure what I really needed a unit to do. I was using Lowrance Elite 7 HDI with no side scan. To me Lowrance was easy to use. I suppose it's like a Apple guy VS a Windows user. You will learn to use what you have.
    I made a list of what I wanted the units to do, the kicker was I wanted it to link with a planned purchase of a Motorguide Xi5...so Lowrance was my only choice. No problem as that was the direction I was leaning since I was familiar with their operating system.

I spent a lot of time in Bass Pro Shop and Cabela's fooling around with the display units and reading as much as I could. I settled on a set of Elite Ti.
    They do everything I need them to do. (need VS wants)
    Make a list of things to consider...
    1..where you fish. (I fish mostly lakes in northern Wisconsin for smallies...these lakes are easy to get to know them once you spend time on them)
    2...how much time you'll actually get to fish..
    3...what's your budget
    4...yada yada yada

I actually don't use the units to find fish that much. I love side scan to help find structure. Maps get me to my spots and waypoints.
    I had my best year fishing this last season and will attribute a lot of that to the link between my front unit and the Xi5 trolling motor.
    It allows me to spend much more time fishing than screwing around with the trolling motor. Over the year I got better and better utilizing the features that are available with this link. But it only comes with practice and time on the water.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinF View Post
    I was in your shoes a couple of years ago. I wanted to upgrade but was unsure what I really needed a unit to do. I was using Lowrance Elite 7 HDI with no side scan. To me Lowrance was easy to use. I suppose it's like a Apple guy VS a Windows user. You will learn to use what you have.
    I made a list of what I wanted the units to do, the kicker was I wanted it to link with a planned purchase of a Motorguide Xi5...so Lowrance was my only choice. No problem as that was the direction I was leaning since I was familiar with their operating system.

I spent a lot of time in Bass Pro Shop and Cabela's fooling around with the display units and reading as much as I could. I settled on a set of Elite Ti.
    They do everything I need them to do. (need VS wants)
    Make a list of things to consider...
    1..where you fish. (I fish mostly lakes in northern Wisconsin for smallies...these lakes are easy to get to know them once you spend time on them)
    2...how much time you'll actually get to fish..
    3...what's your budget
    4...yada yada yada

I actually don't use the units to find fish that much. I love side scan to help find structure. Maps get me to my spots and waypoints.
    I had my best year fishing this last season and will attribute a lot of that to the link between my front unit and the Xi5 trolling motor.
    It allows me to spend much more time fishing than screwing around with the trolling motor. Over the year I got better and better utilizing the features that are available with this link. But it only comes with practice and time on the water.
    Thank you for the input! Honestly, I am coming from kayak fishing and I had a Lowrance 5ti with SI. I still wonder if it every really helped me catch fish! It does seem that all will do what I want. With winter coming I could also spend the next few months researching and waiting to see what comes out...I'm just anxious to get it done!

17. Member
    I've got some buds with side imaging. They all pretty much say it didn't help them find fish, but did help them understand why the fish were there.

18. Member
    I’d call Brian at BBG Marine and have this conversation. He sells all the brands, he won’t sway you one way or the other. I’ve seen him use all kinds of depth finders on his personal boat. He knows marine electronics!

https://www.bbgmarine.com/

19. Member
    whatever you do , don't rely on what you see on the simulation modes on display. When you get them on the boat, it's not going to be all perfect anymore. Humminbird has the best side imaging of all. Mapping goes to lakemaster if your lake has been surveyed. Chirp 2d and down goes to Raymarine imo. Lowrance customer service is still lousy, plus usually after 18 months when your unit goes haywire, they don't repair but will upgrade you for another 1k bucks. I've seen garmin without the panoptix and wasn't that impressed . Best thing to do is find people at the ramp with different units and ask them to give you a quick spin and show you real world pics.

20. Member
    To be honest most of the people at the ramp, including me don't use these high performance electronic units for what they are capable of. When I go with someone who really does it's AMAZING to see what they can do. I agree H'Bird has a better picture than Lowrance, but I have used Lowrance since I switched from a Super 30. I am too old to get used to new technology LOL. I agree with APS on each of them tend to do something really well.

I can't be the only one that gets frustrated messing with these high tech depth finders. I've been out with guys who are SUPER knowledgeable and they make setting them up and using them look easy. I had a big HDS12 on my last boat and went back to HDS7's on my current boat after figuring out I just don't use all the technology. There is always going to be something newer, better, etc...on the market.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast